Planting seed in windy area...

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by thackerlawncare, Apr 9, 2010.

1. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well....If they don't water to keep it moist, it ain't gonna matter if the straw blows away, right?

2. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

I am a huge Penn mulch fan but straw blanket just yields better results from what I have experienced.

zlandman likes this.
  3. GrassStitcher

GrassStitcher LawnSite Member

If the area has dead lawn / thatch use that as mulch, the use the Grass Stitcher (www.grassstitcher.com) poke hole through the dead thatch apply seed and water. You will get great soil/ seed contact - the seed will find its way into the soil where it will stay and germinate.

4. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

I see you are a sponsor and respect that. Wondering if anyone on here has used the Grass Stitcher? can you point me to other threads about it? I have some spots to seed...

5. GrassStitcher

GrassStitcher LawnSite Member

Here is one - http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=305665&highlight=grass+stitcher

Although if you put in Grass Stitcher in the search above you'll see all the posts.

You can also go to www.grassstitcher.com and see reviews.

I just enacted a 100% full refund policy, if you'd like to return. Plus a 100% lifetime warranty

We sold close to 1000 units since launch in August 1 2009.

And, anyone viewing this post I will extend free shipping (about $14.00 value) till end of month if you call 860-365-8012

6. Alex Uhlenhake

Alex Uhlenhake LawnSite Member

I seed grass in large windy areas and blow straw on top to hold the moisture in. Many times the straw will blow away. Are there any ways to hold the straw in place? Is there a tack that you can spray on top of the straw to hold it? Or should I look into getting a straw crimper? Do crimpers work well? Thanks for any help.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In my area when the city dug up to put in sidewalks--they covered the straw with a netting with about 2 inch openings. It was very thin plastic mesh. They said--no need to remove. The grass grew OK if it was watered.

Here is another random link.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/netting-grass-seed-61498.html

hort101 likes this.
  8. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

+1 for the straw mulch blanket staked in. FYI straw doesn't contain much weed seed. Straw is typically from wheat crop, farmers heavily treat cropland for weeds, so there are few.
    I doubt though much of the seed blew away, its probably just waiting on moisture and temperature conditions.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How did it come out original poster?
    Whoops--old post!
    April 2014.