1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Planting shrubs purchased by client

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Hotty Toddy, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Member

how do you price planting materials the homeowner has already purchased?

I am planting 10 3-gallon Drift roses for her. I estimate it will take me a couple hours. Do you normally charge your hourly rate for this?

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

1) Charge more than usual hourly.
    2) How did you get in this situation i.e. planting homeowner-purchased plants? Lose-lose proposition. You don't make any profit on the plants and even if you tell them you can't give a guarantee on viability, they'll still hold you responsible if the plants don't do well even months forward.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Hourly plus a premium. I only have one current customer that may do this and she's great to work for. Anyone else is encouraged to let me buy plant materials. Most home owners who try to get the materials bought crap that's on sale at the end of the season to save money then expect you to come in and dig their holes for them and oerfope a miracle.

4. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Charge what you would normally charge to plant 3 gallons, minus the cost (yours) of the plant.

Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.
  5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

You mean those dried out, frost bitten, wilted plants sitting outside at HD?
    @ buy 1 get 2 free !!

6. smallyardman

smallyardman LawnSite Member

I see no problem doing this. charge hourly rate. a job is a job

hort101 likes this.
  7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Like others have said charge your hourly rate. I'm not a fan of planting client sourced plants but will dig holes for money. 10 3 gallon sized holes shouldn't take much time at all. For stuff like this it's first hour is a minimum then charges go every 15 minutes. So if it only takes you 20 minutes you charge for 1 hour. If it takes you an hour and a 45 minutes you charge for 1.75 hours.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  8. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

It would be better to charge per plant, I charge 30 - 40 per plant for 3 gallons. Minus the 10.99 or 12.99 per plant for cost, you will make out better than by the hour.

9. Weekend Barry

Weekend Barry LawnSite Member

One of my customers came back from the depot in June with 5 3 gal. plants and 2 trays of annual flowers and asked me to plant them. It took me 2 hours with amending the soil and 4 bags of cedar mulch all of this I supplied. I charged her $175 and she was happy. She wants me to rip out some old shrubs by the garage and I think it will take another 2 hours so I told her $150. She said go ahead. I like this kind of work. i don't mind her buying the plants because she pays me for my time and never balks.

10. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Hourly rate and make sure they understand there is no guarantee.