Plantscape Solutions Thread

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pics and reviews, David!

Will you be using any of the LLs? When I first started my research for getting into this industry I was trying to figure out what they were and where they came from after coming across install photos with them. When I discovered LawnSite and read about the issues I decided to stay with light line and retrofits to keep service and issues minimal while starting out. I'm starting to talk to Mike and I do love the look of them but would love to know what your impression is if you don't mind?

Hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend!

Jenn

2. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

You won't have issues with Mike's LL's. I target the high end Million dollar plus homes and in this realm they want C9's. I like how easy it is to install, remove, and store C9's and greenery.

One of my customers with a lot of the wire frame and LL's stuff who had $10K in lights died a month ago so I'm down to only a few houses with LL stuff now.

The other thing I like about C9 is it is as close to zero maintenance as you can get. I do not have to do fall inspections to make sure everything works. If your targeting the 600K and less homes you will have great luck with LL's because it will be something the kids will love.

3. Thisjm

Thisjm LawnSite Member

Thanks again for your input. I am with you on keeping things clean and classic. We also target the high end demographic but I do like the idea of them for vignettes for the kids. For example I have a client with a huge farmhouse and an old milk house a little down their property that would look awesome set with the candy cane LLs as a gingerbread house.

Oof, sorry to hear about your client. What do you do with the product when that happens? Maybe the legalities are different in NY but I'm trying to identify our policy when clients don't renew with us because of death, divorce, moving etc. We do sell, hang, store model. Also have you ever had anyone skip a year?

J

4. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I had two skip last year but it's not a common problem.

5. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

For you Texas guys Mike will be at the TNLA Expo with a booth if you can break free from the wife and kids. I will be there getting my CEU's for my applicators license from Wednesday night thru Saturday.

6. Flatheadyoungin

Flatheadyoungin LawnSite Member

As a newb looking to get in to the holiday lighting business, your posts are invaluable and honest. Thank you!

We have a seasonal summer business and would like to keep a few of the guys on the payroll. It looks like it'll take a couple years to build it up some- especially in a small/low economy market....
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

You may have to stick with incandescent if the pockets are shallow. For LED between buying, installing, and taking down it hard to do it for less then $750 - $1000 the first year.

8. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

Just letting any of you other guys who use the Rack'm enclosed trailer racks know they will direct sell you a set of four mounting brackets for $118 with free shipping. I have had the mounting brackets damaged and welded multiple times. At $29.50 per bracket it's cheaper to replace them to weld them. I usually keep the 32' ladder on the rack and the 40' for the one church that requires it.

I cut the bottom and tops of the mounting brackets to lower the rack to where it is only about 1/2" higher then the roof. I cut the extra posts you can buy that keep the ladder from sliding around on the rack down to just a few inches in height. Besides being stronger shortening the rack by about 6" really helps make it easier to get the bigger ladders loaded and unloaded.

9. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

October drives me nuts. The month is always full of tire kickers. I just tuned on Home Adviser for holiday lights and got a lead the same hour. Called (voicemail) and emailed giving the person some feedback and never heard back.

Just got a referral call but when I started with we only install our lights and rarely will the first year be less then a grand it went down hill. The last guy did it for $300 on a two story house. Hmm.. where is that guy now. I never go look at a house without feeling the people out budget wise and I'm sure you guys are the same way. The lady was nice I just dread those types of calls.

10. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I looked at this job the other day where the previous guy had done incandescent but then flaked out in January and went AWOL. His website was gone and the number was disconnected.

The one interesting things is the guy used a type of putty to put the C9 sockets on the stone and it appeared to work where none of the 120 sockets detached and the putty came off clean in January.

I'm assuming the putty was 3M Adhesive Putty, Saunders Adhesive Putty, or Earthquake/Museum Putty. I have ordered samples of all of these adhesive types of putty and plan to see how they work.

Has anybody tried or heard of anyone using a similar product?

sockets.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg