1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Plantscape Solutions Thread

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Jan 20, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

He also had a Ford F-150 Raptor in the driveway that was a few years old. That is about a 480 horsepower truck but I guess that was not getting the job done.

2. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I don't want to say much but it turns out my Hellcat customers is in radio. He is probably the most popular conspiracy theorist bar none. I had barely met the guy and dealt with his wife mostly. When his nanny would not say much more then he was in radio I looked at the name used for the PayPal payment. When I saw the first name was Alexander I knew who my radio client was.

3. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

Rain here in central Texas on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and today. Chance of rain for several more days. This is probably going to cause some new customer to jump ship who are still waiting. Not good.

4. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I'm at 15 new customer at this point which is down from last year. While the average new client spent $1200 last year this year the number is about $3000. I have had way more 3-5K jobs this year then ever before. I just got the approval for another 3K job. I think the end is near especially when I tell people we are probably booked for this week and it will be at least the 7th before we can do their work. I'm having two extra guys helping this week so we can try to kick some butt.

5. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I know they said the trend in homes is the average square footage size has trended downward where big was the norm. I think my customers defy this trend. One moved to a home that is over 11,000 square feet and I just got a referral to do a job on a place that is 10,700 square feet.

The amount of wealthy people in Austin is just plain crazy. Everyone has to have their Tesla $120K electric car that is the in thing. The Prius that was the cheap must have second car 5-6 years ago has long since fallen by the wayside. The amount of money I see people spending far exceeds the 2006 - 2007 time frame when the economy was considered to be at it's best.

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Regarding your new customers, do you buy material specific for each job or pre-buy in bulk during the summer and hope to have enough materials?

I had 4 new customers this year and purchase materials through local distributor after a signed contract. Unfortunately, the turn around time for getting materials in hand has been a huge aggravation. On the other hand, I'm hesitant to pre-buy because I don't know what customers want.

7. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

Stan, where are you located?

8. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I always have some stuff left from the prior year but I wait until October to start stocking up on bulbs, socket cord, slide plugs, wire, timers, and all the tile, gutter, and magnetic clips.

I only stock the C9 LED warm white bulbs. I know I will sell then so I buy them 1000 or 2000 at a time. I sold over 10,000 last year. I also keep a few cases of the LED 5mm lights on hand.

I keep some wreaths and garland in stock but this year much of what I have needed I have had to order because it was custom made or was a big 5' wreath that I don't stock. Everyone starts small and learns what they need to keep in inventory. Being well organized is a must and an enclosed trailer is the way to go.

9. Stuttering Stan

Located in Virginia. Local supply house distributes Seasonal Source out of Utah but shipment times have me pulling out my hair.
    I have an account with your company and saw your email last week about holiday shutdown and shipment deadlines.

10. Stuttering Stan

Sounds like you and I are very similar. I stock up on accessories (clips, clip-on male/females, triple taps, timers, lamp cord)during the summer due to the low costs.
    Where I get in trouble is with icicle lights, G12, 5mm, and lit wreaths. I consider those the big ticket items that I can't have money tied up unknown if it will be installed or not.