1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Plantscape Solutions Thread

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Jan 20, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

Things are still doing OK with new jobs. I may be at 17 now and got a call to do an estimate for a new 14,000 square foot home. Should be interesting.

2. Hope Landscaping

Hope Landscaping Banned

Let's see some pictures! Are you taking pictures with your phone or actual camera?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

In about two weeks or less I will head out with my camera ans tripod to take legit pictures. Look at the pictures on my website www.plantscapesolutions.net and it shows you the proper amount of light. Do not take picture when all traces of light are gone. You really only have about a 45 minute span at best each evening to take good pictures. I can usually only take pictures of two homes per night. Sometimes I just stay at one home for 30 minutes and take a bunch of pictures and see which on looks the best.

4. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

Installing flashing on a peak about 40' off the ground at Life Austin Church. The whole facade of the building had flashing making for a super easy Lite-Netics installation except for this peak.

The last time I did a flashing project I double stacked the flashing because it didn't have enough material to create a strong enough magnetic pull. This is just a single layer and I have my fingers crossed there will be no domino effect failure. Next year I will probably add another strip of metal under the flashing.

Flashing.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I doubt I will pick up any more jobs this year. At this point I have picked up 22 new jobs versus last years 25. This years average job is about double what it was last year so I have no complaints.

I also increased the installation price for my existing customers base by about $5,000 in an effort to get prices where they needed to be. This caused very few issues and went over very smoothly.

The average home I did this season was in the 1.5 million range which is exactly where I want to be.

Tile Roof.jpg

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who cusses the domino failure. Many hours wasted reinstalling the fall. I noticed icicles are the most common.

7. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I just picked up one more job to do tomorrow December 17th. I have never done any jobs this late in the month. just 8 days before Christmas. In years past by the 5th or 7th things were dead.

8. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

Kind of interesting how the players in the Holiday lighting section have all hit the eject button. The last of us started our off forum chat group and at that point this forum pretty much flat lined.

9. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

Guess no one wants to do lights any more. I sent out a letter with my October invoices about adding lights to my list of services, but I have a feeling most people will be too cheap to go for it, even with the percentage of higher end clientele I service. I can get pretty good pricing on lights through my local John Deere Landscapes. (or whatever it is called now)

Your work is top notch. Can't wait for your review of the Earthway HH spreader either. (if/when they finish developing it)

10. OP
    OP
    PlantscapeSolutions

I did 100K in lights last year. I just fired my web company and hired somebody who an epic SEO chatter on lawnsite but that's all I'll say on that topic. Don't even post a reply if you think you know the guy. Send me a PM. This topic and name needs to stay off this forum.

The million dollar plus home market is really the market for LED holiday lights. It's rare a sale/install/removal is less then a grand. People in lesser homes balk at that kind of money.

Forget John Deere you need to buy from the places I'm sure I've mentioned in my thread. I just gave a guy some feedback who was trying to get in the biz.