• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Plate Tamper and lease vs buy

chico

LawnSite Member
Hello Everyone!
Just an update on the plate compactor thread I posted a few threads below. I bought a bomag 18/45-2 and love it. Compacts incredibly good. It is a huge difference iver the rentals sch as the wacker 1550a that I was used to.

And second I want to know your opinionsl about leasing vs buying a skid steer.

Thanks!

mdscaper

LawnSite Member
I've always rented skid steers since my Dingo can do most of what I need. But right now I'm looking at purchasing compact track machine or Bobcat A300. The tax law passed down here in the states is just too sweet to pass up. 60% depreciation the first year on equipment purchased until the end of 2004. And interest rates are next to or at 0%.
Look into the cost benefit of buying/leasing and the tax breaks in your neck of the woods. It drives me crazy to rent a machine for a day when I only use it for an hour. I've been making the rental companies too much $$$.

AL Inc

LawnSite Bronze Member
mdscaper, thanks for the info. I was in the same boat when it came to skid steers, it was a pain to rent the machine. I started looking about a year ago and finally decided on the Cat 246 (see other thread "skid steers"). Really, the payment is equal to two rentals per month. I just feel more comfortable buying. I know the monthly payment is higher but then there is no buyout to worry about at the end of the lease. I would rather keep that 8-10k in the bank.