Please advise- getting ready to overseed.

OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks everyone. I mowed as low as I can, blew it off and seeded it. I seeded at a rate a little stronger than 3lb per 1k. KBG seed is way smaller than rye or fescue. I never fully realized that until I started pouring it. I have run my irrigation for 20 minutes in each zone. I am going to run each zone for 20 minutes at two separate times tomorrow. So, each zone will get 40 minutes. I did NOT put starter fertilizer down yet. I have to purchase some. When would it be best to put this down? I can get it down tomorrow if need be. My watering plan seem good? Thanks again.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks everyone. I mowed as low as I can, blew it off and seeded it. I seeded at a rate a little stronger than 3lb per 1k. KBG seed is way smaller than rye or fescue. I never fully realized that until I started pouring it. I have run my irrigation for 20 minutes in each zone. I am going to run each zone for 20 minutes at two separate times tomorrow. So, each zone will get 40 minutes. I did NOT put starter fertilizer down yet. I have to purchase some. When would it be best to put this down? I can get it down tomorrow if need be. My watering plan seem good? Thanks again.
The main thing is to keep the seeds continuously moist/damp until after germination. They don't have to be wet just damp. Never let them dry out

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Good to hear the seed is down. I usually fertilize before I seed but whenever is fine. Make sure to water it in. No harm done. The grass can't eat until it sprouts. Yeah, seed sizes vary quite a bit. TTTF seeds are really big which is what I seed with on sunny lawns that aren't irrigated. That goes down at double to triple your rate.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Good to hear the seed is down. I usually fertilize before I seed but whenever is fine. Make sure to water it in. No harm done. The grass can't eat until it sprouts. Yeah, seed sizes vary quite a bit. TTTF seeds are really big which is what I seed with on sunny lawns that aren't irrigated. That goes down at double to triple your rate.
If the grass can't utilize it until it sprouts waiting is actually beneficial because then you're not pushing top growth in the old grass

Weimshunt

LawnSite Member
I had red thread disease earlier in the year that I posted about. I ended up improving the condition with a fertilizer application and decreasing my watering. The lawn is recovered, but I want to take this to the next level. I am thinking of power raking, then aerating a week later and then overseeding. I had been using Lesco Metro Mix, but will be switching to their Park and Athletic mix because it is about 50% KBG, whereas Metro is only about 20%. My plan was to overseed after the aerating. I also saw that I could rent a Classen overseeder at homedepot. Any advice on the method in which to accomplish my goal of overseeding with a higher concentration of KBG? Thanks again for all the help.
What grass do you have atm? I wouldn't over seed with KBG unless that's what you're growing. Imo KBG doesn't mix with fescue.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Good start, Clydesdale!
Your efforts will pay off.
According to this your soil temp is about 70F. Carmel, NY. This is about ideal.

A couple good rains would be helpful--in addition to your sprinkling.

Starter fert would be helpful in about a week. You do not want to fertilize too early thereby stimulating the growth of your old grass. And you want the seed to germinate before adding the starter--you need roots to absorb the starter fertilizer.

Did you put out a 1 inch bottle cap to catch and count a seed sample. For bluegrass you need about to sow 13 to 27 seeds per square inch. See the chart below.

Did you plant some seed inside in a coffee mug on your desk?
Did you roll up some seed in a paper towel and stand it up in a coffee mug with a half-inch of water? Use 20 seeds
Nerdy--but if you are as obsessed as it sounds--this is so you can know when the germination takes place under warm moist conditions. You should see tiny roots come out at about 8 days.
You can complain to your seed dealer if the germination is low.

OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
What grass do you have atm? I wouldn't over seed with KBG unless that's what you're growing. Imo KBG doesn't mix with fescue.
I seem to have a mix of rye and fescue and probably a small amount of KBG. I realize what I am trying to do is a little difficult. From what I have read, and the help I have gotten here, I think I have give this as good of a shot as I can. I can definitely see bare soil in many areas. The power raking was very aggressive and then I aerated. We shall see. The part for me that will take a little leap of faith is that I have to continue to mow the lawn very short 2x/wk for the next 4 weeks, according to the SRO document on page 2 of this thread.

Last edited:
OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
I like those nerdy ideas and I wish I had saved some seed. In this case, I used google earth to determine the sqft and then I poured the seed into 5 gallon pails to see what the volume of the bag was. Since it was 100% KBG, I did not see the point of weighing it. I just divided it up into 4 five gallon pails. I then made sure that I used the appropriate amount in each 1/4 of the sqft in question. I am watering 2x/day for 20 minutes each. My only concern is WED, where it is supposed to be 87 degrees. I may run the zones 3x/day that day. Thoughts on that? Thanks again.

Top Forums