1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me, iv done something stupid!

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Mr Stripe, Oct 17, 2016.

1. crammit442

crammit442 LawnSite Member

Since SEF is normally about $8.00/qt, the 5 gallon pail price is a HUGE discount. That's also full retail. A lot of dealers will give you a decent break off retail. Its too pricey for me to run in lawnmowers and larger equipment, but 5 gallons of two stroke fuel goes a LONG way in handheld equipment.
    Charles

2. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Member

I know a guy that will only run 100 or 110 octane leaded rec gas in any lawn equipment. From his Deere 110 to his trimmer and saws. He will also only use benol mixed 40:1 or richer in his 2strokes. His yard has a distinct smell when he is cutting grass.

3. crammit442

That could easily be me......

4. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Member

The best is when he is running his maytag washer it is 16:1 benol mix you can smell it at his neighbors house if the wind is right.

5. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I need to grab someone to hold the phone so I can get a video of this saw. Just put a Yellow Rapid Super on it and the thing just rips through the stuff like crazy.

6. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Is this what you're talking about? 1512011468240-784348653.jpg

7. crammit442

Yes. The difference in that chain and the low kickback green chain is pretty incredible. Its very aggressive and will snatch the saw right into your work. I'm definitely NOT a real lumberjack, so I've actually read and watched everything I can find about sawing safely and I actually wear chaps, headgear, etc. Nearly everyone I know has a chainsaw story. I don't want a chainsaw story of my own. With the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener and a stump vise, I can touch up the chain every tank or two in three or four minutes and it REALLY cuts well. I've got the oiler set wide open and it really makes big chips. My saw rips at 50cc. Yours must be really serious with a sharp chain. I don't feel like that chain is really more dangerous, just less forgiving if you make a mistake.
    Charles

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Been running RS off and on for 20+ years. It gets dull faster than the Rapid Duro in dirty wood, but it sure cuts nice in clean wood. the Duro has the rounded corners along the top side on the cutter teeth whereas the Super is a full chisel square cornered chain. Try shopping at Bailey's Online. they have some great deals on Oregon chain and IME it lasts as long or longer than Stihl chain. I normally run Oregon chain, but sometimes use their Woodland Pro chain, and it is a good chain as well.

RDALawns likes this.
  9. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

No one around here runs stihl chains. Lots of logging around here and everyone runs Oregon chains. Reason they stay sharper longer and easier to touch up. Also way more forgiving if you do get them in the dirt. I run the semi chisel chain and second time I sharpen them I drop the drags a lot. They will kick back if you don't know what your doing. It will snatch the saw out of your hand if you not holding on to it. The 441C is a beast :cool: