1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bavaria-n, Jul 24, 2018.

1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Location?

2. MSlawnman

MSlawnman LawnSite Member

Coastal Mississippi, my back yard backs up to a marsh. Zoysia may not have been the best choice for this area but it's what was put in when the house was built by the original owners. Seashore paspalum may have been a better choice.

In any case, it's what I have and I'm doing my best with it.

RussellB and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

We are in the transition zone. Quite a bit of zoysia although fescue is the grass of choice. Here, it needs lots of light or it thins. Goes dormant early October and doesn't emerge in the spring until late April, early May.

I had a zoysia lawn until I got married. My wife wanted a "green" lawn year round. So, fescue it is.

4. OP
    OP
    bavaria-n

bavaria-n LawnSite Member

5. MSlawnman

That was a great article. Thanks for sending.

Other than still using chemical fungicides I’m doing most of what the article pointed out. I am trying biological control and will report back on my progress.

Last fall I raked in peat moss in an affected area and I am seeing some remission of the fungus in that area. I’m also NOT using salt based fertilizer at all now.

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Thanks for posting that Thumbs UpThumbs Up
    Page 5 is full of great info

I noticed a particular comment I'll copy below

"Good, well-aged compost has been found by many researchers to be the single best method
    of stopping soil diseases (e.g. rhizoctonia solani and gaeumannomyces graminis var.
    graminis) and correcting soil problems. Compost is high in humus compounds, full of beneficial microbes that prevent disease and create soil structure, is a natural nutrient source
    for all plants, and also provides many other benefits."

7. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

The McGill Compost booth at Wednesday's annual NC State field day had a bucket of pelletized compost on display. Apparently they found a manufacturer that can take their compost and heat it up enough to produce pellets, but not so hot that it kills the beneficial organisms.

I told him that if they can come up with a spreadable prill, then they have a billion dollar idea.

He said that's their goal.

sjessen, MSlawnman, rlitman and 2 others like this.
  8. MSlawnman

I’ve got two bags of compost in the garage now. Am going to spread it in affected areas this weekend.

hort101 likes this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Good luck my friendThumbs Up
    Theres alot of good information in that link maybe will help you get some results

I know its been a challenge for you:wall:

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

And suggested reading at the end of the article "Teaming With Microbes" is a must read to begin to understand the soil food web.

MSlawnman and hort101 like this.