Lawn Care Forum banner

Please help Self Propel won't work (Honda HR214)

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  HondaHR214 
#1 ·
My lawnmover Model: Honda HR214 has problem with Self Propel (Auto run)when I try cut grass. Please help and quide me what should I check and repair it. If send me the location that need to check and repair it.

Thank You for all your helps in advance

#2 ·
Start by checking the belt,if thats fine check the engaugement cable,check cable adjustment.
Just a few things to get you started the right direction !

#4 ·
Its been a couple years sence I worked on a HR214,There are so many brands on the market today its hard to remember everything ! since I posted I remembered Honda also built a shaft drive S/P mower.
Before I send you on a goose chase I will check my service manual tomorrow and post again tomorrow eve.

#5 ·
I have a model HR214SXA. It has no belts. It has a driveshaft. If your model has a driveshaft, remove the driveshaft cover on the deck at the rear of the engine where you see all those cables going in. First, check to see that the drive clutch cable to the transmission is not broken. If you don't know which cable that is, follow the cable from the drive clutch lever to the transmission. If the drive clutch cable's broken, replace it, then try it.

If the drive clutch cable is not broken, check the driveshaft. It's under the cover you removed. It's what connects the engine to the transmission. The driveshaft is actually two pieces one inside the other. Start the engine. Is the driveshaft spinning? If no, turn off the engine then see if you can slide the half of the driveshaft where it connects to the engine away from the engine. This half of the driveshaft will slide into the other half. There is something called a "joint pin" that connects this half of the driveshaft to the engine. It slides thru the end of the driveshaft and the engine drive, coupling them together. If it's broken, you'll be able to pull the driveshaft away from the engine. If it's broken, replace it.

If the driveshaft does turn with the engine running, turn off the engine, then see if you can slide the other half of the driveshaft away from the transmission; it slides into the other half of the driveshaft connected to the engine. If you can move this half of the driveshaft away from the transmission, the joint pin that couples the driveshaft to the transmission drive is broken. Replace it.

The joint pins for both ends of the driveshaft are under the rubber covers at each end of the driveshaft. The joint pins are known to break. They're easy to check, and to replace. And they cost about $.70 a piece. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.