• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Please help, totally at a loss

rmerikle

LawnSite Member
I am hoping to get some help on putting a plan of action together for my lawn. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I am dealing with.

-Bought a bank owned property in Sept of last year
-Got the weeds under control by late Oct
-Late, late October I overseeded the lawn.
-The grass just started to take hold as winter set in.
-It never grew enough to mow.
-I live about 45 minutes East of Seattle and spring is starting to show signs of life, but still lots of rain.
-Moss has moved in over the winter months

What the heck should i do with this lawn? If I look at it with one eyeball I see signs of life, but with the other eyeball I see all kinds of problems.

You can see photos of my lawn at
http://www.merikle.com/Lawn/Lawn.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I am hoping to get some help on putting a plan of action together for my lawn. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I am dealing with.

-Bought a bank owned property in Sept of last year
-Got the weeds under control by late Oct
-Late, late October I overseeded the lawn.
-The grass just started to take hold as winter set in.
-It never grew enough to mow.
-I live about 45 minutes East of Seattle and spring is starting to show signs of life, but still lots of rain.
-Moss has moved in over the winter months

What the heck should i do with this lawn? If I look at it with one eyeball I see signs of life, but with the other eyeball I see all kinds of problems.

You can see photos of my lawn at
http://www.merikle.com/Lawn/Lawn.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I see lawns like that around here. Usually, the drainage is bad and the soil pH is wrong. Either too acid or too alkaline. A soil test is a good idea. Then correct according to the results of the soil test. Can you till the ground before trying to establish grass? If so, lots of compost mixed in up to 12" deep will help the drainage. It might be necessary to install a pipe drain system under the lawn. This involves preforated pipe in gravel filled trenches.

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
Is it possible for you to step back, and take a more over all picture of that lawn. Maybe to show a little more of the conditions you have there. It looks like nothing desirable is growing there, and there has to be a reason for that.

How shady, how wet. Try to post a picture of the overall area. Can't tell by close ups what the conditions are.

The moss makes me think...Shady/Damp.