1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Please help with fill question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bobcat s250 NY, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Can someone please help me out in figuring how much fill i will need to fill up the area behind a RR tie wall that i am currently building.

The wall is going to be 3 feet tall x 125 feet long... The area that needs to be filled will extend back 15 feet from the top of the wall. The area looks like a triangle. How many yards????

Thanks in advance for your time. Im going to try to draw it in paint now to give a better visual..

2. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

3. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

Find cubic yards: length x height x width/ 27 = cubic yards and then divide by 2 for the tirangle.

3 x 15 x 125 = 5625/27 =208 cubic yards/ 2= 104 cubic yards

4. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

And you can also take your yardage and use a multiplier of 1.35 to calculate tonnage. That number can be altered, I just find it a good rule of thumb for general materials. 104 x 1.35=140.4 tons

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont forget that your 1st foot behind the wall should be drainage stone, so that will lessen the amount of fill soil.

Chris