Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Merit applied about 4 weeks ago. I’m now seeing a lot of Japanese beetles on my cherry, jap. maple and crab apple trees. I bought a bottle of Sevin and intend on spraying the trees. Is this correct and/or should I do things differently now and in the future?
Thanks in advance for the advice/help!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sevin will kill them,but you'll have to re apply often.Ortho makes a systematic insecticide that works well also.
Here's the thing.They still have to feed to injest the pesticide before they die,so you're still going to have some damage.
The Merit you applied will work great for the grubs that are there now as well as the newly hatching grubs.Watch the beetles.They'll feed,breed,and then fly down to the lawn to lay eggs.Even though you've sprayed your own lawn,your neighbors probably haven't,so you'll still get beetles flying over from their lawn to feed on your ornamentals.
IMHO,you need to get ALL of your neigbors spraying their lawns for the grubs or else,all is in vain concerning your ornamental plants.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NickN said:
IMHO,you need to get ALL of your neigbors spraying their lawns for the grubs or else,all is in vain concerning your ornamental plants.
Yea I know, that's what really stinks. My neighbors don't care what their lawns (weeds) look like :angry: . It's gonna be an uphill battle, huh?

Oh yeah, why do you have to re-apply the Sevin often? Does it wash off with rain or what. Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NickN said:
Ortho makes a systematic insecticide that works well also.
I meant to ask you about this before.
What's the label name and what does "systematic" mean?
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeD520 said:
Try Talstar, I have had great results with it for all of our beetle customers. Where are you in southeastern PA?
I'm 10 minutes west of Downingtown.
I thought Talstar was used for ants, fleas, ticks, chinch bugs, etc.?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone told me today that these friggin’ Jap. beetles dig back into the ground and lay eggs and new grubs feed near the soil surface around the end of August then the new grubs dig down deeper into the soil for winter. If this is true, can I put a second app. of Merit down at the end of August when the new grubs are feeding near the surface?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Talstar One is labeled for adult Japanese Beetles. Here is a link to its label...
http://www.pctonline.com/msds/labels/fmc/TalstarOne Label.pdf

Demand CS is also labeled for adult Japanese Beetles, and also works very well.

As long as the application has been watered sufficiently, Merit has a sufficient residual to prevent the development of the eggs that will be deposited in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You must 1st know where they come from & treat the area. Then you can treat the places they feed. To eliminate Jap bettles you have to go after the source in the ground and then attack their food source. This process starts with your fall applications and then continues thru spring into the month of june when they usuall start to hatch and fly away from the ground nest. Study the problem.....then you will better know how to attack the problem.

:cool2: Education is only good if you are willing to learn and apply it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help and links so far! So should the Merit that was applied in mid-June be sufficient with it's residual or should I put some more down (in late August) when the new grubs start feeding near the surface? (If so, I plan on applying it to the entire lawn to be safe)
p.s. - I have sprayed the beetles on the trees that are affected?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.