Please help with this weed

Fastshivy

LawnSite Member
I can't seem to find this weed in any of my books. It is growing in St Augustine grass near Palm Coast FL. Unfortunately the lawn was cut yesterday so the pics are not great, but the top produces 1 leaf then another about 5 mm up the stem... which is opposed. The blades are very fine and quite strong. The lawn has seen a lot of rain and is poorly drained on top of a sandy blue clay poorly drained soil. Any ideas...Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 71

SouthEastTurf

LawnSite Member
it's always hard to identfy grasses by a single picture for me, but I am almost certain this is common bermuda or something like coastal bermuda.

OP
F

Fastshivy

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the replies. It is very difficult to tell from a picture for sure. I use to cut coastal Bermuda for horse hay, and it looked a little different, mainly this plant grows upright and you don't see any runners above ground. The atrazine route seems like a very good idea...will try it. It would be nice to let it grow more and see what the seed heads look like etc. I am in a new community with 3,000 houses and we pay an hoa fee, in turn everyone gets their yard cut on a schedule. Unfortunately problems aren't addressed very well.

OP
F

Fastshivy

LawnSite Member
I can't seem to find this weed in any of my books. It is growing in St Augustine grass near Palm Coast FL. Unfortunately the lawn was cut yesterday so the pics are not great, but the top produces 1 leaf then another about 5 mm up the stem... which is opposed. The blades are very fine and quite strong. The lawn has seen a lot of rain and is poorly drained on top of a sandy blue clay poorly drained soil. Any ideas...Thanks
Another pic

Attachments

• DDAF233C-4BDE-483C-9987-3B06D976484E.jpeg
    DDAF233C-4BDE-483C-9987-3B06D976484E.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 47

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Does it grow very fast? Kinda looks like johnson grass or even hay......hard to tell....

OP
F

Fastshivy

LawnSite Member
definitely not Johnson grass not a fast grower. I sprayed it with atrazine as suggested so waiting on those results. I may take it to Ext agent…still thinking it could be a Bermuda grass.

Top Forums