Please ID grassy weed

OP
B

BikePilot

LawnSite Member
Riggle,

I will have to get more picks. These are in a bermuda lawn mowed 3 to 4 days prior. I don't know if I can get a seed head pic because of their mowing practices. The owner did tell me that they did not go away last year when the summer temps started to really rise like we see with Poa. I was thinking of painting on roundup but this yard is covered in these clumps.

Dave Stuart

LawnSite Member
Take a close up shot of the collar region.
This area will show characteristic such as auricle, ligule, bud vernation, ect.
If you get the seed head as well that would be great.

OP
B

BikePilot

LawnSite Member
I got these pics today. Best I can do with my POS camera. This is the seed head. Thanks for all help. I spot sprayed a few with combo of celsius and certainty last time I was there and when I went back today this grassy weed wasn't affected. The dallisgrass was dark color so I know the mix is working on something but didn't show anything on this stuff.

Need help so I don't have to use this *trucewhiteflag*

sam1.jpg

sam2.jpg

sam3.jpg

Ferris68

LawnSite Member
Tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea) is a deep rooted, cool season perennial grass. The plant produces vigorous growth in the spring and fall and its extensive root system helps it withstand drought conditions. Tall fescue does produce short rhizomes but has a bunch-type growth habit - it spreads primarily by erect tillers. Individual tillers, or stems, terminate in an inflorescence, reach 3 to 4 feet in height, and have broad, dark green basal leaves. Leaf blades are glossy on the underside and serrated on the margins. The leaf sheath is smooth and the ligule is a short membrane. The inflorescence is a compact panicle, 3 to 4 inches long with lanceolate spikelets one-half inch or more long. The grass flowers in the spring and seed mature in early summer. Seed are 4 to 7 mm long, elliptic and awned.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Seems too fine of blade for invasive for tall fescue, eh?

OP
B

BikePilot

LawnSite Member
I am not sure. Based on the way it grows and thin/fine blade it doesnt look like tall fescue to me in the yard. I just cant figure it out. I sprayed it with combo of Certainty and Celsius and havent seen any damage done to it.
Posted via Mobile Device