PLLandscape Work and Equipment

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PLLandscape, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting enough, I own a 99 Ram 3500 diesel flatbed dump. I had it at the dump yesterday and it scaled at 8500 lbs empty. The door sticker GVWR is 10,500.

2k lb legal load capacity??? 40 bags of mulch? Not even allowed to carry a full skid of salt.... I was actually amazed at what legally I am allowed to carry on that truck. I checked and newer one ton dumps GVWR aren't much more.

I think a 550/5500 would be ideal, if not medium duty.

2. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

A newer f350 CC is roughly 13k GVWR. Heck my dually is 12,600gvwr, but it is a crew cab dually.

Grant11 likes this.
  3. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

My 5500 has a gvwr of 19,500 and my enclosed is 10,000. That's over the 26,000 non-CDL limit. You can get a Class A restricted (could be wrong on that letter) where you take the road test with your own truck and trailer. You are then legal to drive anything up to that weight. I've been driving it that way this season, but going to get my CDL over the winter to avoid any issues. I believe getting a full CDL can costs thousands of dollars, where as the restricted is not too expensive.

4. PLLandscape

From my reading of the confusing laws here in NY you can tow a trailer up to 10,000gvwr and have the 19.5gvwr F550 and not need a CDL. If the trailer is 10,001, now you need a CDL. Or in the case of my 12600 truck and a 14k dump trailer I need a CDL even though the 550/10k trailer weighs more.

IMG_5013.PNG

5. PLLandscape

Fixed up a sunken and separated walkway and installed a firepit.

With the walkway I removed all the pavers, removed the sand, removed the majority of the stone, and basically started from scratch. Compacted and compacted and compacted.......... Left the pavers in "order" so I could lay the cut pieces back in the right spot. Other than needing to clean each of the old pavers it wasn't too bad of a job and I think turned out nicely. Everything is pitched properly so hopefully the pooling water issue they were having is remedied.

Firepit is pretty easy. Just need to get that first course level. Sits on a 4-6" compacted base.

IMG_5043.JPG IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.JPG IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

6. Grant11

Any idea how old that paver walkway was or what caused it to fail?

7. PLLandscape

Not sure on the age but likely 15-20+ years. Homeowner has been there over 10 and the pavers were there when they moved in.

There was no edge restraint which likely allowed the pavers to laterally move creating the gaps. I'm assuming the infiltrating water then started to wash out the bedding sand. Plus the freeze/thaw cycles here likely accelerated the process.

Grant11 likes this.
  8. PLLandscape

It was much worse than this shows but it was the only pic they could find. Hard to tell but the center was sunken quite a bit.

IMG_5072.JPG

9. PLLandscape

I'm absolutely loving the enclosed trailer. The other day I got my route done the fastest I ever have all because I was able to just "hook n go". Starting to get shelving in and racks put up. I just know that once I get it set up I can have everything I need in one place, for the most part.

I know this likely won't happen any time soon but a dump truck is in order. I feel with a dump truck and the enclosed I can be a pretty darn efficient operation for most jobs. Obviously the bigger landscape jobs could be the dump truck and dump trailer. My pickup truck, for me, has become a bit useless. Why?

- It's my personal truck so I have it set up for a 5th wheel so the bed cannot hold a dump insert.

- limited capacity mainly due to bed size

But, if I could attain a dump truck that means I could have a helper drive one truck and trailer and myself drive another if the need should arise. Even if it was a pickup with a dump insert, preferably a dually tho.

The only drawback should I be forced to have only one vehicle or myself as labor is likely buying another complete set of hand tools for the enclosed, which I may do anyways. Switching back and forth is a waste of time.

caseysmowing and hort101 like this.
  10. Grant11

We do this and it is extremely efficient for us. Countless scenarios of my guy going to get mulch while I go grab something from the nursery, rental equipment, bank, ect. He'll go dump a load from a job site and I'll beat him back to the shop and have all tools unloaded and he's ready to put the truck in park and clock out. Obviously it's more fuel but saving an hour off our day every day add's up on payroll.

PLLandscape likes this.