Plowing with a 2WD?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Paradise Landscapes, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. Paradise Landscapes

    Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 959

    Can a 2WD Pickup truck plow snow? I was asked that last week. I don't plow. and don't intend to.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

    grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,526

    Maybe a dually truck, say a 1 ton or heavier maybe. It will have enough weight to be able to plow, plus you will prob need chains on it also. The bad thing....a truck that size is ok in a larger parking lot but is very hard to manuever in a smaller area

  3. Paradise Landscapes

    Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 959

    The guy I talked to has a 1/2 ton P/U. Would that handle it? I have a 3/4 ton 2wd. The only difference I can see is the springs.
  4. Swampy

    Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,435

    Yes. even with with 4wd I usaully leave it 2wd until I get stuck or I'm not going anywhere.

    You can plow with a 2wd just make sure you have enough wieght in the back. Our 94 2wd F450 is geared really low and has a 9ft fisher blade. We use a 800lb peice of spancrete in a frame and a pallet of salt in the back of it (80lb bags x 30 bags to a pallet = 2400lbs give or take).
  5. JohnsonLawn

    JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 400

    I have a 92 Chevy K3500 1 ton 4x4 and I never use the 4 wheel drive. I just put 2 yards of crushed stone in the back and I could move a mountain.
  6. J&R Landscaping

    J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,095

    In this last storm, I was not in 4x4 mode very often. Only when I absolutley needed it.
  7. qualitylawnmanagement

    qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,000

    A buddy of mine had his 4x4 go out and he pushed 16ins of snow just like the rest of us, but he had 2000lbs of sand in the back. I couldn't see a 2x4 truck doing it tho cause they sit lower in the front and seem like it would get stuck in snow when you would drive around in it.
  8. GreenN'Clean

    GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,512

    Ive plowed many times with a f250 in 2 wheel drive. You only need 4 wheel drive if you get stuck but as long as you have weight in the back you shouldn't need 4 wheel drive
  9. QCS

    QCS LawnSite Member
    Messages: 55

    I'm with GreenN'Clean, I have a F250 4x4, I would say that I plow 75% of the time in 2 wheel drive. The other 25% is if have to push alot of snow a long distance or pile. The key is having the proper ballast in the rear. I usually have 500lbs. of salt/de-icer in the bed.

  10. Willofalltrades

    Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,000

    The last storm was a pain in the arse wasn't it! I counted anywhere from 20-25" of snow. It wasn't fluffy either, this stuff was heavy (had to shovel a few cars out). All I can say is my 873 Bobcat with a 9' Boss blade got some hours on it.

Share This Page