Pneumatic Oil and Diesel Extractor

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
It looks rather nice, and is anything but entry level. My bespoke oil extraction machine is nearly identical in function (except mine isn't made to be portable, and instead relies on a long hose), and I'm very happy with it, for what it's good at.

Do you have a LARGE compressor that can vacuum that tank out? An air vacuum venturi will require a lot of air blown through it to pull a vacuum on that tank. My 80 gallon compressor is up to the task, but anything under 3 REAL horsepower will probably not be.

It is wonderful on draining small engines. Particularly ones that you don't want to tip over. It is AMAZING when bleeding brakes. On my cars, through the dipstick tube, it's so-so. The curve in the dipstick tube makes it hard to reach the bottom of the oil pan and easy to send in enough tube that it curls up in the pan and sucks air. Plus when it comes to motor oil, it needs to be fairly warm to pull enough to drain a car. Don't bother on a cold engine.

A sharp eye on this site would recognize the tube from my BR500 in these shots. ;)

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
I would tend to think anything from Horror Freight is entry level.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
It looks rather nice, and is anything but entry level. My bespoke oil extraction machine is nearly identical in function (except mine isn't made to be portable, and instead relies on a long hose), and I'm very happy with it, for what it's good at.

Do you have a LARGE compressor that can vacuum that tank out? An air vacuum venturi will require a lot of air blown through it to pull a vacuum on that tank. My 80 gallon compressor is up to the task, but anything under 3 REAL horsepower will probably not be.

It is wonderful on draining small engines. Particularly ones that you don't want to tip over. It is AMAZING when bleeding brakes. On my cars, through the dipstick tube, it's so-so. The curve in the dipstick tube makes it hard to reach the bottom of the oil pan and easy to send in enough tube that it curls up in the pan and sucks air. Plus when it comes to motor oil, it needs to be fairly warm to pull enough to drain a car. Don't bother on a cold engine.

A sharp eye on this site would recognize the tube from my BR500 in these shots. ;)
We just rebuilt this compressor ...guess it should do the job. Shop charged us $500 a few years ago to pull gas out of diesel tank. Shop wants $400 to $800 to clean up our 2006 diesel tank.

Screenshot (83).png

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
We just rebuilt this compressor ...guess it should do the job. Shop charged us $500 a few years ago to pull gas out of diesel tank. Shop wants $400 to $800 to clean up our 2006 diesel tank.

View attachment 386366
First off, any 120V compressor that plugs into a normal outlet (like that one) is limited to about 2HP. That 6HP number is a BS marketing claim and relates to the locked rotor current on the motor, but has nothing to do with the reality of power being delivered to the pump. What's the CFM rating at 90PSI? That will tell you what your compressor is capable of.

7.5CFM is the highest I've seen in a 120V compressor, and that would be just barely up to the task. Yours is probably close to that, but expect it to be running non-stop to vacuum the tank. That's going to be real fun to listen to...

As for removing gas from diesel, that's hazmat. I don't know anyone here who will take gasoline contaminated oil.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
First off, any 120V compressor that plugs into a normal outlet (like that one) is limited to about 2HP. That 6HP number is a BS marketing claim and relates to the locked rotor current on the motor, but has nothing to do with the reality of power being delivered to the pump. What's the CFM rating at 90PSI? That will tell you what your compressor is capable of.

7.5CFM is the highest I've seen in a 120V compressor, and that would be just barely up to the task. Yours is probably close to that, but expect it to be running non-stop to vacuum the tank. That's going to be real fun to listen to...

As for removing gas from diesel, that's hazmat. I don't know anyone here who will take gasoline contaminated oil.
Here are spec on compressor I got.

Screenshot (84).png

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah, it's kind of what I figured. It will have to run non-stop to keep that venturi pulling vacuum. Venturis are VERY inefficient ways to create suction. So if you're using this all the time, you'll get tired of the compressor noise in short order. Still, I think you're pretty close to the zone where this will at least work. Anything smaller and you can absolutely forget about even trying.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, it's kind of what I figured. It will have to run non-stop to keep that venturi pulling vacuum. Venturis are VERY inefficient ways to create suction. So if you're using this all the time, you'll get tired of the compressor noise in short order. Still, I think you're pretty close to the zone where this will at least work. Anything smaller and you can absolutely forget about even trying.
Our dealer shop is going to loan me one of these to try:

KIMG1402.JPG

KIMG1401.JPG

This is the compressor I plan to get someday
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-elite-qst-30-60-scroll-air-compressor.html

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
I've heard only great things about the scroll compressors. Quiet is the name of their game.

Anyway, since you can borrow one, you'll see exactly how much air that unit consumes.

BTW, there's an alternative option. If you're just looking at a compressor for oil extraction, a better idea would be to use a vacuum pump. Rotary vane vacuum pumps made for AC work would destroy themselves in this sort of use, and you don't need that sort of high vacuum anyway, but an inexpensive diaphragm vacuum pump, like one made for hold-down tables would be ideal, is quiet, is much cheaper than that compressor, and because you can bypass the venturi if you're using a vacuum pump, the efficiency is quite good.

Something like this will pump down that tank even faster than my 80 gallon compressor and hardly make any noise:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gast-DOA-P704-AA-Diaphragm-Vacuum-Pressure-Pump-TESTED/254322359926