Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pocket gopher making mounds of dirt in my front yard next to my mail box! It's killing my grass and pissing me off. I shovel and rake off the dirt to prevent more of my lawn dieing and not an hour later he's right back at it. So I start over and stand guard hoping to catch a glimpse of him with my pitch fork in-hand and he doesn't show up until I leave! I tried to flood out his holes with the hose, light fire works down his tunnels, and spear the ground with a pitch fork. NO DICE! How do I get rid of this sneaky pest? :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a peek at one last year from my kitchen window so I quick ran down stairs and grabbed my bow, and ran back up stairs. I was able to get a shot off from up stairs out of my sliding door. I missed him by less than an inch! My broadhead found its mark in the ground right next to the hole where he was pocking his head out of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's what I do- take an empty 5 gallon pail. Fill it 5/8 full of water. The level is touchy, you want to have it deep enough it can't touch bottom and empty enough that it can't reach down and get the bait from the rim.

Sprinkle the water surface with sunflower seeds (in shell) so they cover the entire water surface. Place a board from the ground up to the rim and place two or three seeds on the board at the bucket end. If you can get the board more level all the better.

It'll be attracted by the seeds, look down and think the surface is solid, jump in and drown.

Thinned the gopher herd here by dozens and dozens of them over the last couple of years that way. No waiting around.

One improvement if you need to do this long term, use a round section of a black garbage bag slightly larger than the bucket diameter. Place it carefully on the water surface and then sprinkle a handful of seeds in the middle. You use less seed and they don't get waterlogged so they last a long time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what I do- take an empty 5 gallon pail. Fill it 5/8 full of water. The level is touchy, you want to have it deep enough it can't touch bottom and empty enough that it can't reach down and get the bait from the rim.

Sprinkle the water surface with sunflower seeds (in shell) so they cover the entire water surface. Place a board from the ground up to the rim and place two or three seeds on the board at the bucket end. If you can get the board more level all the better.

It'll be attracted by the seeds, look down and think the surface is solid, jump in and drown.

Thinned the gopher herd here by dozens and dozens of them over the last couple of years that way. No waiting around.

One improvement if you need to do this long term, use a round section of a black garbage bag slightly larger than the bucket diameter. Place it carefully on the water surface and then sprinkle a handful of seeds in the middle. You use less seed and they don't get waterlogged so they last a long time.
My buddy uses that exact same method on mice in his garage. I never have heard of anyone doing this for gophers tho. I might have to give it a try.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just out there and caught a glimpse of him re-digging the mound that I had just flattened!!!!! I ran in the garage and grabbed my pitch fork and snuck up on him, as soon as he pocked his head up out of the hole I stabbed at the hole and MISSED!!!!! I was so close to getting him I even heard him let out a little squeal. That drew the last straw with me so I grabbed the hose off my shop vac and hopped in my truck. I pulled up to the hole and stuck one end of the vac hose in the tail pipe, and the other end down in the hole and let my truck idle for about 10min. While the truck was running with the hose blowing CO2 down in his underground highways, I stood guard with the pitch fork in hand making sure he didn't try to escape to catch a breath of fresh air. I didn't see any movement, so I pulled the hose out of the ground and quickly filled the hole back up not allowing any of that sweat odorless CO2 to escape. Hopefully this little sucker is sleeping indefinitely and I got his ass this time!!!!!:laugh::laugh: If NOT, I'm gonna have to get "Catty Shack" on his ass and start blastin' sh!t up!!!:realmad::wall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.