1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Points elimination on old 14hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wilsonbh, Jun 1, 2007.

1. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

A mechanic told me that there is a replacement part that will eliminate the points on my old JD 314. Does anyone know about this? Sounds like a good modification to the engine.

Billy

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called the breakerless ignition system from Kohler. This is the one I'm familiar with. It uses a sensor mounted next to the flywheel. It takes a special coil and you'll need the special flywheel. I called on the sensor itself last year and it was around 140.00 alone. You would be better just using what you have. The points on a K series are just about the easiest to change out of any engine.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Pugs, The one I have installed on the mag systems is Kohler # 25 757 10-S, Never tried the Stens type with this one in stock.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

The one I'm talking about is a 12 volt system. You can find it in the parts manual. The first one I ever saw was just last fall. I didn't even know Kohler had such an animal and I've worked on lots of K engines. Go to section 8.5 and 8.6 on the Kohler link to see it.
    http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I did not even know Kohler had one. I have only used the Stens one on a snowblower I fixed up for myself. Its a little Toro with a Suzuki engine. It didnt have points but it had an external trigger box. Stens has 2 of those boxes, I forget which one I used but it worked well and lists for like 15-20 bucks vs like 70 for the toro part and I wasnt sure if it was the trigger or the coil itself.

As for the Kohlers, we generally just leave the points in them. The work well for a long time.

7. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I agree, I think I'll just leave it as it is. Would be nice to have electronic but the points are so easy to install and adjust, well, I doubt the electronic can beat it for the price and ease. I see no real advantage.

Billy