• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Poison Ivy Solutions?

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I have gotten poison ivy about 4 times in the past 6 months, this most recent time was pretty bad. I’m wondering what you all do to protect yourself from it? Are there certain lotions to put in before you work? Soap to wash yourself with after you work? Some crazy miracle product I don’t know about?

gchidest

LawnSite Member
I've never had it but wouldn't push my luck around it either. Just read an article about it.....

Date:July 1, 2015 Source: Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center

Three-quarters of the population will get an itchy red rash if exposed to the urushiol oil inside the plant's leaves, stem and roots. One-quarter of people will not have any reaction to exposure. Contrary to popular belief, Adams says you can't get poison ivy simply by brushing against its leaves. "You have to actually break the leaves, stem or root to get the urushiol oil on you."

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
The only real solution is too stay away from it.

I carry a scotchbrite scrubber and soap on the truck . Anytime I think I've got near the stuff I scrub down for about 5 minutes as soon as possible. Think of it like scrubbing grease that got on you from working on a old car, but you cant see it.
This is about the best advice going.

There are lots of potions and creams and they do help. The best practice is to scrub the affected areas thoroughly asap. Remove the oil, remove the problem.

I am only mildly allergic to poison ivy. I carry clear calamine lotion/Benadryl and smear it on as soon as I sense warmth in the affected areas.

There are some preventative products that help if you are incredibly allergic.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
RULE #1:
Learn to ID Poison Ivy's many forms: ground cover, bush & vine.

Not knowing one is exposing themself to PI is when big trouble can begin since no action will be taken.

If knowingly exposed to PI, then it's imperative to wash up ASAP. I use Fels Naptha which is a petroleum based bar soap found in the laundry detergent section at most supermarkets. This is a somewhat harsh soap, so it has a drying effect on skin.

I do a few string trimmer jobs near creeks where I know there's a distinct chance for exposure and will schedule these for the absolute end of my workday. Then make a beeline home to wash up.

If string trimming foliage w/ PI in it, always work L>R to minimize spraying it onto your person. This direction applies to straight-shaft trimmers.

Even dead PI plants/leaves/vines contain the urushiol that can remain 'active' for years. So, be aware of your surroundings IFF you can.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
RULE #1:
Learn to ID Poison Ivy's many forms: ground cover, bush & vine.

Not knowing one is exposing themself to PI is when big trouble can begin since no action will be taken.

If knowingly exposed to PI, then it's imperative to wash up ASAP. I use Fels Naptha which is a petroleum based bar soap found in the laundry detergent section at most supermarkets. This is a somewhat harsh soap, so it has a drying effect on skin.

I do a few string trimmer jobs near creeks where I know there's a distinct chance for exposure and will schedule these for the absolute end of my workday. Then make a beeline home to wash up.

If string trimming foliage w/ PI in it, always work L>R to minimize spraying it onto your person. This direction applies to straight-shaft trimmers.

Even dead PI plants/leaves/vines contain the urushiol that can remain 'active' for years. So, be aware of your surroundings IFF you can.
Lava and Octagon soaps work also.

Had a neighbor who swore she could get PI from the oils floating in the air.

PI oil is very virulent. Have read the amount of oil on a pin head is enough to infect 500 people. Take that for what it is worth.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
I have gotten poison ivy about 4 times in the past 6 months, this most recent time was pretty bad. I’m wondering what you all do to protect yourself from it? Are there certain lotions to put in before you work? Soap to wash yourself with after you work? Some crazy miracle product I don’t know about?

Get you some "Technu"

If you already have a rash, follow the direction's exactly and it will help a lot. I use the extreme version. It's totally worth the $15 a tube.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Bronze Member
Keep covered up helps. Know how to ID poisonous plants. Technu wash helps. Cheaper than that is use rubbing alcohol or liquid alcohol sanitizer. Wash down really well with that to take the oils off your skin. Technu says clean up time 8hrs after exposure, so you have a little time to work with.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
I lifted this from our State Extension Office HortNews letter:

- Urushiol is the oil present in Poison Ivy that causes the rash.

- Urushiol is present in all parts of the plant but especially in the sap.

- Urushiol can cause a rash from 1 to 5 years after a plant has died.

- The amount of urushiol that covers the head of a pin can cause a rash in 500 people. The stuff is potent.

- Poison Ivy can grow as a ground cover, a shrub or a vine.

- Using a chainsaw on Poison Ivy in the winter can release sap which makes a rash more likely. This is worse on warm days where there is more sap rise.