Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, i got a bad azz case of poison ivy, both arms, legs, one ear, hands, and one spot where, well, i cant imagine how it got there. we were trimming yesterday and today, my man says, "is that poison ivy.?" i said, "yup". he says he cant touch it, i said no problem, i took care of it. it never bothered me before. when we were kids we went fishin in the woods alot, the other guys got it, i never got it. thought i was immune or some thing. well, i got it bad. i actually called the dr from my night job, he told me come right in, now. so i did. he gave me a shot of steriod or something, plus a prescription. any of u guys have problems with poison ivy? ive heard horror stories of people getting it in their mouth, throat, lungs. should i charge the $20 co pay, plus the $20 prescription to the customer? ;) ill sneek it in on the hourly somehow

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
man, i got a bad azz case of poison ivy, both arms, legs, one ear, hands, and one spot where, well, i cant imagine how it got there. we were trimming yesterday and today, my man says, "is that poison ivy.?" i said, "yup". he says he cant touch it, i said no problem, i took care of it. it never bothered me before. when we were kids we went fishin in the woods alot, the other guys got it, i never got it. thought i was immune or some thing. well, i got it bad. i actually called the dr from my night job, he told me come right in, now. so i did. he gave me a shot of steriod or something, plus a prescription. any of u guys have problems with poison ivy? ive heard horror stories of people getting it in their mouth, throat, lungs. should i charge the $20 co pay, plus the $20 prescription to the customer? ;) ill sneek it in on the hourly somehow
LOL, wouldn't you think that the poisin ivy being there is an act of nature? not the sinister work of the owner?

Sorry that you got the reaction that bad.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, but it falls under "acts of god", and created an unforseen expense. should be easy enough to cover. add 5 min to every hour, at $1.25 per min, thats $31.25, and jack up the disposal a bit to cover medical expenses and pain and suffering.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You can be immune to the effects of poison ivy. However this immunity can erode over time if you are constantly exposed. I also never got it when out in the woods, and all the other kids did. 15 years ago, I decided to try just pulling it by hand, and it did not bother me. But a couple of years ago, I got a couple of infected spots after working with some, so I am a lot more careful now. Whether you are immune or susceptable, it pays to take care around it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Bobby,

One's body chemistry is constantly changing. Leaves of 3, let it be. I can only imagine how you got it there (thinking about that client hitting on you I bet). If you didn't know it was p.i. charging client okay, knowing what it was & using poor judgement - "If you're stupid - you deserve to suffer". Just MHO.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I use to be amune...Not anymore. I get blisters lookin at it....My help on the other hand can swim in it.

My help can play in it, I'm not goin near it.;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I got it last week. I was covered everywhere but my forearms. Thought I wasn't touching it but with my gloves but while pulling out other crap from this mans overgrown natural area, It got all over me (well, between the wrists and elbows. My forarms swole up so bad, that I couldn't bend the wrist and elbow on my right hand. Doctor said it was the worst case he had seen. But the quack didn't give me a shot. 6 day steroid pack is all he would give me. I didn't sleep but about 3 hours in 4 days. Its finally dried up to itchy scaly skin, but I have to find a way to cover my arms in the 95 degree heat. Why don't people want their natural areas taken care of in the winter, when I can cover my arms with something and still be relatively comfortable.

·
Registered
324 Posts
BobbyG,

Here, since I like you here's my $0.02:

Here's a little secret that I stumbled upon based on science. The active compound in poison ivy that makes you itch is called ronsinol or something like that. Anyway, its an oil based compound. So, when you get your hands wet or use water and soap on them, yup, guess what, you spread it even worse, unless you REALLY scrub.

The answer, use regular rubbing alcohol, straight from the bottle with a lot of paper towels, using a new towel for each part of your body so you don't re spread the oil. Do this RIGHT after you get out of the ivy and it will help. However, if you skin is broken or irritated, such as from chaffing of a watch band, wedding ring, etc., you will still probably get it. Then after the alcohol, wash with soap and water.

Try it, it works and it is CHEAP. We pulled poison ivy off a wall that was 10 feet high and 60 feet long, two pickup load, and I got one spot on my wrist where I scraped it along the wall.

Best luck,

EG

·
Banned
726 Posts
I wouldn’t charge the customer any more than I would if I’d hit a stump on their property with my mower. That Poison Ivy is a hazard. You thought you could avoid it (because you were immune), but you were wrong. So it’s not their responsibility.

On the other hand, if you didn’t really know what Poison Ivy is, and they told you a pile of brush didn’t have any in it, but you got it bad, then I’d charge them for it.

I will spray it. That’s it. No mowing, or weed-whacking. If a customer wants it removed, it will have to be someone else. But I wouldn’t wish that stuff on my worst competitor.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm with you Bluesteel. Last year I got a nasty case of it.Put me out of work for a week. After that I did some research on it and found:
1. you dont have to touch the plant to get it. Trimming it will release the invisible oil into the air and land on your skin. Thats why they say NEVER EVER burn posion plants
2. touching or scratching it DOES NOT spread it to more parts of your body. It is mostly spread by whatever body part you touch after you've gotten the oil on your hands
3. vigorous hand washing should be done more than once a day to make sure you dont have any poison oil on your hands
4.There are many 3 leafed weeds that look like poison ivy so be sure you and the worker bees see pics of it

Now I will only spray an area that has it....will flatly refuse to do ANY hand work in an area with poison. There is simply not enough money to go thru what I went thru last summer

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, someone has to pay for it, its not me. anyway, yea, i got a 6 day steriod pack too, i hardly even slept last night, thats why im typing at almost 10 am. thanx for the advice. what do i do about it now though? its itchy, open, and oozing. its drivin me nuts. will the alchohol still work?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bobby

Did the Dr. put you on prednisone ? Stuff makes me eat buffalo wings by the 5lb bag full. Everytime I get poison ivy and go on that drug I eat like a horse. With that drug I think you can still use a topical antihistimine like benedryl creme or caladryl. Ask your Dr first though. Take a bath in aveeno oatmeal bath stuff. Works well to help the itching.

·
Banned
787 Posts
Bobby, how long have you had it?:(

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3rd day now, and it got even worse aftyer cutting today. my arm is so infested, it looks like a big black and blue mark. does it go away after x amount of days?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Bobby...I might be wrong about this so maybe one of our EMT type people can correct me . I am allergic to pollen(yeah I know I'm in the wrong business), bee stings and get poison just by looking at it. Somewhere I read or heard that allergic reactions to this kind of stuff has something to do with our individual immune systems...doesn't mean we're deathly ill but rather some of our immune systmes dont protect some of us from a severe reaction. One thing I do know for sure, as kid I had terrible pollen allergies and I'll never forget the doctor telling my mom that I needed to REST when I was having one of my allergy days....like any other illness, if we dont REST, our bodies can't fight off the germ, allergen, poison, as effectively.
So because you were out there working you were wearing down your body's ability to fight the poison. Most of us stupid men work no matter whats wrong with us ....then we just drop dead.

You'll be better in a couple days IF you slow down a little and allow your body to fight it off.

·
Banned
787 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
3rd day now, and it got even worse aftyer cutting today. my arm is so infested, it looks like a big black and blue mark. does it go away after x amount of days?
ya, right after you see your arm laying on the ground. that sounds really attractive. post a picture.

go back to the dr, bobby.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man....I would try some benadryll for the days.

AT NIGHT....

What really helps is go into the shower and run pretty hot water on the area for about 10 seconds until you can feel it burn. It will dull it out and wont itch all night.

This is what I have been doing, burn the shyt out of it @ night and benadryll during the day

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.