Pole saw hopping out of the cut on smaller branches?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Ready to Mow, Jan 13, 2017.

1. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Yes. Take your chain to a saw shop. Have them make you a Oregon saw chain . Chains are sized by pitch and drive links so they will need the chain.

2. leaver_red_jr

leaver_red_jr LawnSite Member

Not to be too preachy, but chainsaw/ladder is a bad combo.

Overwatch, MowDaddy and Mr Stripe like this.
  3. gettinafarmerstan

gettinafarmerstan LawnSite Senior Member

Less is better to me when it comes to chains on saws. Meaning some chains have more than others as far as the safety links. I do file down the depth setters but as mentioned if you file/grind them down to far you will get a lot of vibration from taking large chunks at a time and a much better chance of having the saw kick back on you or out of the cut. With the pole saw I usually try to put the body of the saw up against the limb to help stabilize it while cutting a flimsy limb. If you can reach the small limbs by hand then a battery powered sawzall works great with a pruning blade and gives a cleaner cut on those small limbs. take care.

4. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Good point.

5. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I'll say this, I'm amazed by how long the chains on these pole saws maintain sharpness with little routine filing. Iv had my stihl pole saw for 3 years and it's on the same chain. Cuts perfect, I file it with just a tiny touch-up ever so often. Course it's not my most often used saw for sure.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a troy build pole saw that cut stuff like butter. I now have a sthil and it grabs and doesnt cut near as good.

So if I go the the sthil store what chain do I tell them I want?

7. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

There isn't much dirt to dull the chain above your head. :)

iand likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Gold Member

I have an Oregon chain in my regular chain saw and I can cut a 1/2" branch that's laying on the ground without even needing to hold it with my foot. I wonder if the stock echo chains are just junk. With the echo chain it would always bind up very easily.

9. OP
    OP
    Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Gold Member

I see guys 25 ft in the air on a ladder with chain saws all the time. Cutting palm trees.

10. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

Yes it can be done. But its extremely dangerous. You can't move out of the way of a falling limb. And a large limb can actually knock the ladder down with you on it.

Darryl G likes this.