Poly Sand in cold?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ccas, Nov 11, 2019.

1. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

So, I just finished laying the pavers for my first little patio project. Its 30°-50° up here in NH right now with rain and muck on the way. My question... Should i just wait until spring or should i do it now?

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Probably best off to wait for spring. You should consider putting some course sand in now just to set the pavers. Don't fill the cracks completely unless there is alot of water that has to move through the patio or maybe if you are sitting on clay. A lot of guys are getting away from poly sand but I use it most of the time.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

I was thinking of putting something in there. Them would i need to take it out in the spring? Whats the best way to do that?

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

I've used a blower, pressure washer and a 5n1 paint scraper to remove sand. In the spring, the sides of the brick need to be completely dry before installing poly sand so if you end up using a pressure washer pull a brick out to check. Right now I would tamp the brick, sweep in a small amount of course sand and cover with some poly or a tarp to limit the amount of water that soaks in.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

Its the main walk into my house. Im thinking of a course sand like what you'd use for septic. Ibdont want to have to rent a compactor for something thats going to be taken out in the spring. What about just roughly brushing it into place for now and then vacuuming it out in the spring? Will that work?

6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

There is no need to tamp the sand in now. If this is something that people need to use over the winter and is on the narrow side then you might consider sweeping in more sand to help lock the pavers thru the freeze-thaw cycle.

7. OP
    OP
    ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

What would happen if I were to go ahead and use poly now? Im thinking it wouldnt stick to the pavers, but might come out easier than sand?

8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

If it doesn't dry completely before it gets to cold it will never set up right and will be nothing but expensive sand in a year or two. Do you have a poly sand picked out yet? I use Gator Dust and I think it works in cooler temps now. Follow the instructions on the bag. Not all poly sand is the same, some set up like jello and some set up like concrete.

9. OP
    OP
    ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

I think its permasand from home depot. I wish i had good weather.

10. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

website says temp should be above 40 degrees and no rain for 24 hours