Poly sand..why bother

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hayduke, Nov 4, 2019.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's a real pain to install properly I'll say that. Not sure I'm on board with hating it but see what you're saying.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just installed my first patio with poly sand. I really like it but like I said only used it once before.....

3. OP
    OP
    Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

You've certainly been at it longer than I so I respect your opinion as I imagine you have revisited many of your sites over the years. My first walkway went in in 2012, with poly sand. I did several with poly, then for the reasons listed above I stopped using it in 2016. I have not seen any difference as of yet. I'm not saying that poly sand doesn't have any merit, as it does kind of provide that instant curb appeal for clients and peace of mind after the contractor has explained all the magical benefits of it and how good their life is going to be now that they opted to upgrade the bid $300 for poly sand..
    But it just seems that after a year or two, that polymer is long gone and the client is left with just sand. Now maybe in the drier climates where it hardly rains, the polymer may last much longer. perhaps it is more beneficial in the desert regions?
    I'll admit I feel kind of ashamed when clients ask me if I do poly and I tell them no!

hort101 likes this.
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I regularly pressure wash my interlock driveway without the worry of removing the joint sand. That being said it’s a pita for my repair crew.

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Well I am going out on a limb with my current project which is a 150 sq foot entry walkway with raised stoop to a 75 sq foot upper level patio area. Allan Block steps and Fieldstone pavers. Not only am I going to skip the poly sand but I'm using 3/8 chip as setting bed. We just finished 75 linear feet of Allan Block Ashlar wall using 3/8 chip for levelling for the first time. It was great. I hope it goes as well with the pavers!!

hort101 likes this.
  6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

You rebel you!