Polysand in the winter?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mitty87, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

We have a project going where I need to get some polysand in. Its just very difficult for things to dry out in the shaded area. I would need some very lucky weather and in the Pacific Northwest its just very rare to get nice dry weather this time of year. We do have sunny days but the pavers stay a tiny bit damp. Would I be fine to apply sand with partially damp pavers or should I just hold off for nicer weather and leave uncompacted as is?? I don't really see anything too relevant in the search so figured someone might have some experience/advice. Thanks

hort101 likes this.
  2. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member
    from Wi

Wait! Polymeric sand is not something to gamble with. I don’t know what your temperatures are, but we’ve had issues in the past when we’ve tried to get the sand installed in less than ideal conditions. We don’t mess around anymore.

Usually our last project of the season ends up finishing around Thanksgiving time. The temps are usually in the 20s-30s We sweep them in with regular mason sand for the winter. In the spring we will go back and spray the joints out and resweep with poly. It’s not ideal, but it is what it is.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Don’t spread it if the pavers are wet. Wait till better weather.

hort101 likes this.