Pond cleaning,what to charge

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by BlazingRakes, Apr 27, 2017.

1. BlazingRakes

BlazingRakes LawnSite Member
    Male, from VT

Hi all, will appriciate any input. I'm a mow and trim operation but had a new customer ask about cleaning his pond. It's about 40ft long, 20ft wide, and 12ft deep. It has fairly steep edges to it. The pond has been drained. He's looking to have all the leaves cleaned out,lots of leaves. The dump site for leaves is about 50ft away from pond, in the woods. No power equipment, it would be all by hand, rake, shovel and wheelbarrow I guess. Told him I'd think it over, it's a pretty big job and not sure if it's something I'd want to get into. Was wondering how you would price something like this out. It's probably a 8-10 hour job doing it by hand. Thanks for any input.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

if you know it should be 8-10 hours it's pretty simple you multiply by hourly rate you normally charge. I'd probably add a couple hours to the quote, because most likely it will be more work than you think. How do you plan on getting large amounts of waste 12 feet out? Is it sloped? Bid it high, not something you want to end up taking 2 days when you quoted for 10 hours.

Being a newer business myself we have quoted some jobs where it seemed pretty straight forward but then we start and realize it's much more than we originally thought.

RDALawns and hort101 like this.
  3. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

You lost me at no equipment.

Darryl G likes this.
  4. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

Blower into a pile then... Put a wb down there mulch the leaves then put the waste in trash cans and up the hill you go. If it's been drained can you even get a wb down there without sinking?

5. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Member

$1000 and do a good job. Jk. Write it if it take longer than XX hours then I will add $XX.

Jk. I bid a condo and they had "Pond Maitainence" included in the bid.

I really didn't know what needed to be maintained. Add pesticides, trim around, clean pump <had a pump.

Good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    BlazingRakes

Male, from VT

One end of the pond has a little slope to it like a mini beach and the other end has a little walkway into it. It's defiantly not something I've done before, but just looking at it I know it's going to be a big job.

7. OP
    OP
    BlazingRakes

Male, from VT

Yeah right, haha. Unfortunately there's a steep bank coming down to the pond on the upper side. Then on the other side there's about a 5 ft walkway around that side of the pond and a steep drop off across from it. Can't make it simple.

8. OP
    OP
    BlazingRakes

Male, from VT

Figured blow as much as I could and have to rake the rest and then a lot of hauling. No way to get mower in there, it'd get bogged down, bottom is pretty muddy

9. OP
    OP
    BlazingRakes

Male, from VT

$1000 would be nice.
    That would make my day.
    I'm fairly new to the buisness, third year into it, so still working on the pricing. Have the lawns prices set, but this is a little outside my territory. Hard to get a reading on what people around here are willing to pay.

10. OP
    OP
    BlazingRakes

Male, from VT

Thanks for the replys.
    Customer called and asked about adding some additional work.
    Wants the upper bank and lower bank surrounding pond cleared of leaves