1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Pond install question.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Quality SR, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR LawnSite Member

Hello guys, I am a newbie here. I have a question on installing a plastic pond. I have a plastic pond with 2 feed pipes and 2 return pipes coming off the pond. On the filter (Hayward) I have 1 spot for the feed and 1 spot for the return. My question is, can I use a "Y" fitting for the 2 feed pipes and the 2 return pipes coming off the pond? If not can i get away with sealing off one of each off the pond and just use the 2? Instead of 4. Also the threads off the 2 pipes from the feed is 1", the thread off the filter is 1 1/2" can i reduce this to work? Also, I am putting the pond in an area that is open. I don't want the filter and pump sticking out like a swore thumb. Can i pick up a Street Lighting Box and put the pump and filter underground? Like i said I am a newbie here, I can take pictures of what i am talking about but i don't think i can post them. Either way any help would be great. Thanks in advance Rich

2. Quality SR

If anyone has any info please let me know i am starting this project tomorrow. The pond is aprox. 5' L x 3'W x about 2 1/2'D. It is not an oval it is an odd shaped pond. Also if i can cap off 1 return and 1 feed let me know if that will work for that size pond. The person i bought it from had a smaller pond above this larger one. I don't know how he had it hooked up. Any info please let me know. Rich

3. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

This is a small pond so you should be fine, with only using the one in and one out, I suggest going with the two furthest apart. Pictures would help because I may have misunderstood some of that.

4. Quality SR

Thanks Me. I will try to have pictures on tomorrow. I thought about using only 1 in and 1 out, but i want to wait until i get some feed back first.

5. Quality SR

Ok here are the pictures. I am going to do one at a time and explain what is in the picture.
    This first picture is the whole pond. You can also see what i was talking about with the 2 Return pipes. (left side of pond)

pond.jpg

6. Quality SR

Picture 2, is the inside shot of the pond with the 2 returns ( to the filter). 1 on the deep end, one higher up. One of my questions were can i cap off one of these? Do i need the 2? Or can i put a " Y " fitting to connect the 2 together? The Pump (where these 2 pipes go) only takes 1 pipe.

2 out inside.jpg

7. Quality SR

Picture 3 and 4.
    This is the picture of the 2 IN's (this is were the water goes back in to the pond. Also this is the shot of the pond upside down)Picture 3 is on one end of the pond ( closer to the OUT's) Picture 4 is on the other end of the pond. Also can i cap one of these off?

feed 1.jpg

feed 2.jpg

8. Quality SR

Picture 5.
    This is the picture of the 2 OUT Pipes. Again the pond is upside down. One is in the deeper end and one is higher up.

return 1 2.jpg

9. Quality SR

Picture 6 and 7.
    Picture 6 is the filter (Hayward). This picture shows 2 holes. 1 is for the IN, and one is OUT. The other side of the filter (not shown) has a hole for the waste ( or Backwash) i know what i have to do with that. :)

The next picture #7 is the shot of the pump. I know what i have to do with this. I have the same set up (sort of) on my pool. (but much bigger) The black coupling gets the OUT pipes. Then i have to get a pipe from the hole on top to the IN spot on the filter. The 2 hole on the filter obviously goes back to the pond ( water comes out the little holes). Now for my next question. The holes IN holes on the pond look like 3/4" or 1" threads. The IN hole on the filter is 1 1/2" Can i reduce this down to make this work.

This is all the pictures that i have right now. I will take more if needed. If anyone has any info let me know. I got rained out today but i am digging the hole on Monday. I hope to have this set by Tuesday. Also i cant PM yet, if someone wants to talk to me on the phone, ill email you my #. Thanks in advance.

in out filter.jpg

pump.jpg

10. Quality SR

It is too late for me to edit my posts. When i said IN i mean the water that goes back to the pond from the filter. And OUT is the pipe that sucks the water out of the pond to the filter. I hope i didn't confuse anyone. :confused: