Pond lighting fixtures

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Night Owl, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Night Owl

Night Owl LawnSite Member

I have installed a half dozen different integrated LED fixtures in ponds over the years and have had uninspiring results for the most part. Water always does what water does and works its way in. In the upper Midwest here, the conditions are perhaps more harsh on these fixtures than in the south, as even though ponds are drained at the end of the season, snow/sleet/late rains get in the ponds and start the freeze thaw cycle which can be deadly for these fixtures.

Seasons aside, are their really reliable integrated LED fixtures out there that anyone can point to? I have never installed an incandescent fixture with LED lamp in a water feature yet - the thinking being that the easier it is to open the fixture, the easier it is for water to invade. But perhaps there are good drop in style fixtures that someone can vouch for? Or is it just a matter of diligent maintenance and perhaps removing fixtures from ponds altogether in the winter. Thoughts?

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

3. wyrenutz

wyrenutz LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Hydrel WD, Lumiere Atlantis
    Pay the price for no leaking when it comes to underwater applications
    Don’t waste your clients money and save yourself the hassles with anything else. Trust me.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I build a pond in my previous home installed 6 lights 3 volt and 3 other brand 1 year I had them 24/7, 2 fail within 3-6 months none of them volt, left them there for another 2 year normal use 4-7 hours a day, the one that did't fail did this time in about 16 months, volt still running after I moved from that house.
    Now I'm in california and have installed about 100 or so and they all running so far with no problems.

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Quit worrying about it, Alan. He didn't mention your company by name. He only said he put his money into two other particular brands. Free world.

6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Both of you are looking foolish with this exchange.

7. OP
    OP
    Night Owl

I've been fortunate enough to meet Ken and I value his opinion on all things lighting. If he gives an underwater fixture recommendation I have no doubt it is of the highest quality. Alan - I do not know you but I know your company, and if your products were total rubbish you wouldn't still be selling them to all levels of customer at the rate it appears you do. Whether or not everyone agrees with how you sell your products has got nothing to do with the original question.

Aside from Volt and the Lumiere and Hydrel options (which let's face it, not every budget can bear the burden of such fixtures) what has been successful for other designers/installers? I am going to be giving the Brilliance Adjustable Aquabeam a run this spring but I have not used them previously - any thoughts?

Woody Kerwin

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Let's keep the discussion on point and refrain from attacking someone, accusing others or degrading others while posting/commenting here on the site...now back to the discussion please

9. wyrenutz

wyrenutz LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Hey Woody,
    I’ve used and tried many different fixtures for pond applications over the years. The two referrals were suggested by many in the class that both you and I have taken. Those are the only two that have not endured water intrusion so that was my reasoning for the suggestion.
    I have not looked at the brand you are suggesting but try it out and let me know as a lower priced product line would be great to use with confidence.
    However, if any of the products that you do try, if they fail, look at the fixture, break it down, (yes warranty will be voided ) and figure out its weakness. That’s what I’ve done in the past and honestly by the time you invest going back to the clients property because it’s failed, send it back for warranty and know that it will fail again, just frustrated me. Those two products have not had any issues for me.
    Just thought I’d explain my experience.
    Ken

10. OP
    OP
    Night Owl

I hear that - nothing more frustrating than underwater fixtures that you know are just waiting to fail (and the reflection that may have on your operation). I have tried to get manufacturers to look into exact failures of these types of fixtures when I have done warranty returns but it never goes anywhere. I suppose I'll just have to go with your method and break it down myself for once. I'm aware that the search for value and long term reliability out of pond fixtures is a bit of an ask which is why I brought it forth on this forum. I have appreciated all input thus far - there's got to be some more stories to tell on this subject...