Pool Coping - Anyone an issue with this?

iowa

LawnSite Senior Member
Just started to demo an old (30+ year) pool deck to replace with pavers. Originally, the plan was to keep the vinyl coping and 12" or so of concrete poured around it.

This pool is the fiberglass panel / concrete bottom type pool. I spoke with the gentleman this afternoon who built it, and he recalled that it was built in '76. Structurally the pool is still in great shape, except for the vinyl coping.

You can see in the picture that the coping really has no structural significance. After meeting with the client today the question was brought up to actually tear out the old coping (which the tile is glued to) and install new coping of the same type if it is available.

After thinking about it some, would it be possible to pour a 12-18" pad around the perimeter of the pool, install new tile on the fiberglass panels, and just use concrete bullnose? My reasoning is that I'm not too confident that we'll be able to find this type of coping anymore, and that I feel a bullnose paver will complement the area much better.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I think you've opened a can of worms. For the record, I'm not saying anything isn't possible. but these fiberglass pools and steel framed pools really are intended to function exactly are they are.

Gonna be hard for a landscape guy to re-work the rebar as shown on the drawing detail.

And how come I see feet with no work boots? And why does it look like someone isn't wearing socks?!

Last edited:

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
I

iowa

LawnSite Senior Member
Ended up turning out quite nice.

1039841_10203762849769978_3970435973132226942_o.jpg

10624752_10203763042134787_8358909800779913637_n.jpg

OP
I

iowa

LawnSite Senior Member
And before DVS pipes up with his assumptions:

Yes, that is a fire pit that close to the pool.
Yes, I have a signed release form relieving me of any liability. I totally disagreed with a fire pit anywhere back there, but client was way too insistent.
Yes, there is a custom stainless steel liner inside the firepit. 1" airspace all the way around.
Yes, I am standing on a raised patio. Yes we dug the foundation overdig out all the way to the bottom of the footing and filled with clean stone to alleviate any backfill movement issues. And finally, yes there are 6 risers to the raised patio, complete with a railing.

OP
I

iowa

LawnSite Senior Member
No pictures but we ended up tearing out the old coping and concrete behind it.
The fiberglass panels have pockets in them for #4 rebar. We formed a 12" wide by 8" thick pad all around the pool and used these forms. http://stegmeier.com/index.php?opti...novation-forms&catid=39:deck-forms&Itemid=410

The only deviation we made compared to the drawing on the page is that rather than nailing the wire tie to what would be the bond beam of the pool, we simply nailed it to form work. The coping forms are styrofoam and have two adhesive strips on the bottom where we attached to the fiberglass panel. Very flimsy until you stick them on, they stiffen up very nicely once their stuck on and nailed.

Colored and stamped concrete. I don't have any close-ups but it turned out pretty nicely. I would've preferred bullnose, but I would probably do this again if the situation were to ever arise again.

alldayrj

LawnSite Gold Member
Thats cool stuff. What do they cost? Was it easy to do the curves? Seems way faster than cutting and jointing bullnose. Probably cheaper too since you have to pour a footing for bullnose anyway

Top Forums