"Pool Fill"?

OKSooner

LawnSite Member
Working on a lady's residential irrigation system this weekend I saw something new... the last zone on her controller was marked as "Pool Fill".

Set this zone to run, and nothing that I could see was happening. Of course, I wouldn't know if something was happening to the pool. But no irrigation zones running.

What am I missing?

TIA

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
Working on a lady's residential irrigation system this weekend I saw something new... the last zone on her controller was marked as "Pool Fill".

Set this zone to run, and nothing that I could see was happening. Of course, I wouldn't know if something was happening to the pool. But no irrigation zones running.

What am I missing?

TIA
unsure without pics but i am assuming that the pool fill valve was an ASV.

many times the pool plumber will install a valve off the irrigation main, most codes call for a vacuum breaker or anti-syphon valve when an auto fill is used.

this pool my be set for a timed fill because of a consistent leak or evap issue.

it also may be a manual valve and auto fill device.

stebs

LawnSite Senior Member

many times the pool plumber will install a valve off the irrigation main, most codes call for a vacuum breaker or anti-syphon valve when an auto fill is used.

this pool my be set for a timed fill because of a consistent leak or evap issue.

Along with that auto fill device, It may be fed by a valve on that controller to add an extra layer of security incase the auto fill valve fails to close.

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
I wouldn't count on there being any extra backflow provisions. I see many pool fills right of the irrigation main.
Posted via Mobile Device

Waterlogged

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with GreenMonster, 75% of the pool fills around here are right off the irrigation main.
On occasion, I have seen pool fills hooked up to the domestic, with the proper backflow, and hooked up to the controller.

Our state law won't allow irrigation water on a pool fill.

TCEQ Landscape Irrigation Rules 344.62 (n) states the following;
Water contained within the piping of an irrigation system is deemed to be non-potable. No drinking or domestic water usage, such as, but not limited to, filling swimming pools or decorative fountains, shall be connected to an irrigation system.

Sprinkus

LawnSite Silver Member
Yup, those fountain guys were pretty PO'd when that came out. I'll bet that most of 'em are ignoring the rules and connecting to the irrigation main anyway. :rolleyes:

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. See that a lot out here, both manual and automatic. If it is hooked into a controller, just figure your run time the same way you would a landscape by estimating losses in a given time period.