• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

poor running B & S 16 hp?

Yetti

LawnSite Member
howdy Guys, I am new around these parts and had a question about a mower I put together a while back. its a 16hp twin briggs on a MTD/Craftsman chassie. heres the problem, when I start it and run it its smooth at first and then acts like its not getting gas. I have torn down the carb and cleaned it and have pumped out the tank and refilled with fresh fuel a couple of times searching for what is wrong. I never have found the problem. if you guys have any ideas I could use the help at this point.

Midwest Lawn Services

LawnSite Member
is this a vaguard?

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
Yetti

Yetti

LawnSite Member
16hp 656cc model 402707

and yes I have tried it with the fuel cap off. the fuel system flows fuel fine through the line. I am wondering if that style carb needs more fuel pressure from the pump? I am thinking it maybe sucking the float bowl dry. if I pull the choke shut I can keep it running but its difficult to tell where the problem is at.

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't go running to the valves just yet....

When you cleaned the carb. did you take the fuel pump apart ?

If so did you replace the diaphragm ?

Did you get all three springs back in properly ?

If you didn't take the fuel pump apart I feel thats where you need to go, You can get just a fuel pump rebuild kit.
Make sure all three springs are installed per the diagram below, Put a dab of grease on the tabs for the small brass springs to hold them in place for assembly.