Possible Lawn disease question

Larry9901

LawnSite Member
Hey guys,
Can anyone help me identify what is going on here with my lawn and how to treat it?
This picture was taken today. Location is metro Detroit Michigan.
I dug into the yellow spots and didn’t see any evidence of grubs.
thanks
Larry

Attachments

• 1D4CAB6C-2D64-4BB6-B396-607B9237BFC3.jpeg
    1D4CAB6C-2D64-4BB6-B396-607B9237BFC3.jpeg
    763.1 KB · Views: 49
  • EDF676A3-FD6B-4D00-9715-D365EB103787.jpeg
    EDF676A3-FD6B-4D00-9715-D365EB103787.jpeg
    941.9 KB · Views: 58

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
When’s the last time it rained? Looks like drought conditions with something or someone under the soil. Detroit is a rough neighborhood I’ve heard.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Its been dry for about 3 weeks. Grass is more green in the shade.

Probably way too early for grubs--unless they were leftover from last fall. Adult beetles should emerge, mate and lay the next generation's eggs in few weeks.

However it looks like it rained today in Detroit.
Not enough--but the rain is helpful.
Probably more to come--but maybe light showers.
Rain at night under warm temps tends to stimulate disease in turf. Keep a close eye on it.

Last edited:

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
First I'd go digging for grubs and other underground pests. Easy and if none then you can rule that out. Then possible take all or brown patch maybe. That's a lot of area. Maybe would call for a fungicide if there are signs.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
Highly doubtful its grub damage even from leftover grubs last year. Minimal feeding only. Take a soil probe, screwdriver that you can check and see if anything is under the soil like rock, stone, etc. The yard behind you looks to have very little stress issues. If your not sure about fungus, take a sample to your county extension. They can analyze it and get you the results of what it might be

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
That does not look like heat stress to me. Heat stress is more gradual between green and yellow areas. These transition lines are very abrubt.

That being said. Do you have irrigation and use adequately? Do your neighbors? As was stated your neighbors don't have this issue.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
This also looks a lot like too much granular fert was dropped. If that's the case you should still see an abundance of fert in those dead areas. An easy thing to rule out if you don't see it. Especially if no rain in a while.

Bitches_Brew

Banned
This also looks a lot like too much granular fert was dropped. If that's the case you should still see an abundance of fert in those dead areas. An easy thing to rule out if you don't see it. Especially if no rain in a while.

Looks like it's where whatever was used to fert turned around to slow and dropped more than needed? :confused:

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Out of sheer stupidity in the early days of using my ride on I've stopped my PT with the spreader still in "open" and had just a little granular fert fall in front of it. Thought no biggie just a little more than normal went down. Only to find a few days later burns that look similar but obviously not as big.

Top Forums