• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Possible relocation to Florida-where to buy existing routes?

lawnsaspire

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hello there, posted this in another section as well, as i wasn't sure quite where to post it. I have been operating a lawn biz in Illinois since 2007. My wife's parents are talking of moving to central Florida after retirement in a few months. Her sister already lives there. She is very close to them as am I, and if they do this we would like to go as well. And before anyone says,, "don't start a lawn business in Florida..etc", I may not have a choice. I have only known lawn care for 14 yrs now,, and i have done very well with it. I would like to keep doing this in Florida, as I do enjoy it, and also realize i have no experience with anything else,, and my wife has been a stay at home mom all these years. I have looked on Craigslist and see several businesses for sale in that area. Also on a couple of business broker websites. I would rather buy an existing route than starve for a year while trying to start something, but the prices being asked are very high it seems. Are Craigslist or these broker sites a good place to look? I know there is a section for Florida only, but I can't seem to find it, if anyone might also direct me there. Thanks for much for any help or thoughts.

Last edited:

scagman52

LawnSite Senior Member
Hello there, posted this in another section as well, as i wasn't sure quite where to post it. I have been operating a lawn biz in Illinois since 2007. My wife's parents are talking of moving to central Florida after retirement in a few months. Her sister already lives there. She is very close to them as am I, and if they do this we would like to go as well. And before anyone says,, "don't start a lawn business in Florida..etc", I may not have a choice. I have only known lawn care for 14 yrs now,, and i have done very well with it. I would like to keep doing this in Florida, as I do enjoy it, and also realize i have no experience with anything else,, and my wife has been a stay at home mom all these years. I have looked on Craigslist and see several businesses for sale in that area. Also on a couple of business broker websites. I would rather buy an existing route than starve for a year while trying to start something, but the prices being asked are very high it seems. Are Craigslist or these broker sites a good place to look? I know there is a section for Florida only, but I can't seem to find it, if anyone might also direct me there. Thanks for much for any help or thoughts.
Brace yourself to have your income cut in half. A huge amount of LCO and very cheap prices! Good luck!

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Broker sites....you will pay top price, actually way over top price

OP
lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire

LawnSite Bronze Member
Brace yourself to have your income cut in half. A huge amount of LCO and very cheap prices! Good luck!
I've never sprayed. Dont plan to start. Is that something people down there expect there mowing guy to do?
People must be making money at lawncare down there. Will be posting in the SOUTH section. Thanks for the input guys.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
In the midwest, a cheap lawn is around the price of buying 10 beers at the bar (10x4= $40). In FL, where small lawns are cut for $20, that would not even get you 3 beers (3x7=21). Cost of living is a lot higher, and cost of cuts are lower. Lots of competition down there, and to do much more landscaping than mowing or trimming bushes will likely require a contractors license.

dkflipse

LawnSite Member
Cost of living certainly higher. Regarding pricing, there are many, many, many yards that are $100 + per visit. Suffice to say I'm not charging $20 on an 8 million dollar house....