Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've gotten 3 new repeat customers these last 2-3 weeks. One has multi properties. It's only 4 now but this is giving me hope that I can turn this into a real business. I've basically been advertising in the neighborhood FB group. This is just a after work side gig. So I have no LLC or insurance and have been primarily using Venmo. Most of these yards need a little 30-36" ride on because of gates. I'm not doing that great on my hourly $$ with my little 21" Honda. Not to mention the fatigue.

So I'm wondering the best way to go about trying to get a ride on mower. Not what brand to pick or anything but how to purchase. Do dealers have seasonal sales? What about tax write offs? Probably going to be a $5k+ mower. Etc? What do I need to look into?

Thanks,
Higgins909

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think you may not be ready for a new mower until you increase monthly income to a larger amount. I'd be loooking at a used 36 mower for the spring. The new mower would be a 48, 52 or where ever you settle into whatever size yards you'll be at. then the 36 ends uip mowing around 15% of your account. Start talking to dealers now and get a feel on inventory and when(if) stuff goes on sale. I'm looking at a new mower from the farm and fleet, They have 2 in stock and there's little chance they will sell this year. Next spring they have a 10% sale for one day only and thats when I'll drop the hammer.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
The mower can be written off completely in the year you purchased instead of over 5 years etc. In which case you'd prob want to buy it in calender year 2023 as you'll prob have more income to offset for taxes. I use a jd 636m (36" stander) as my first year I had a few accounts with small gated backyards. However nowadays I only have one account that needs it, rest of the time I'm mowing witha 60" ztr.

·
Registered
16,130 Posts
The mower can be written off completely in the year you purchased instead of over 5 years etc. In which case you'd prob want to buy it in calender year 2023 as you'll prob have more income to offset for taxes. I use a jd 636m (36" stander) as my first year I had a few accounts with small gated backyards. However nowadays I only have one account that needs it, rest of the time I'm mowing witha 60" ztr.
Does the 36 stander rut the grass

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Does the 36 stander rut the grass
No, it's got 8.5" wide tires. It's the equivalent of a Wright stander I. No special problems with rutting. The aerocore deck does start throwing wads if the grass is wet tho, something to be aware of. And doesn't have the wide stance to handle bigger slopes.

When you go down to the 32" standers you need to watch out as they tend to use 6.5" wide tires, and can have more of a rutting tendency.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have no LLC or insurance and have been primarily using Venmo.
. . .
What about tax write offs?
Having an LLC is not important -- you can operate a business as a sole proprietorship. It sounds as if you already know having insurance is important. But, do you have any required business licenses? Are you paying all required sales or other taxes? Are you reporting income on your income taxes? If you are not reporting income and paying tax on that income, you certainly would not have tax write offs. If you are reporting income, you can also report expenses. The Small Business Administration has mentoring programs to help businesses start and grow. Check Small Business Administration to find what is available in your area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a 36 or smaller will be best for me. Only having 1 mower and not multiple, besides a backup push. Don't need to extra weight, maintenance, storage, bigger trailer, cost. So far my smallest yard is about 4k sq ft and I'm going to do a 14k this weekend. My family's yard is 10k. They're all gated. I need to measure them but I'm sure a 30" width mower will fit through most of them. I will keep that tire size info in mind when looking around.

So I'm in Texas and it's supposed to be a business friendly state from what I hear. I don't have any licenses. When I was looking I think all I needed was one or so for fertilizer and pest control and weed control. Can't quite remember but I crossed those off my list for the time being. I was planning to claim it on my taxes next year. I thought there was a box for extra income? I was wanting to do a LLC because it separates you from personal liability or something like that and your assets. This has me unsure of how to go about buying a mower and then writing it off. Either way I still have to file for a LLC or Sole Proprietorship, iirc.

I will have to check out the SBA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts