Possible Transformer Issue??

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by AKavanaughSC, Oct 14, 2019.

1. AKavanaughSC

AKavanaughSC LawnSite Member

Trying to resolve a problem for one of our neighborhood signs. Transformer is a Elegant Lighting Low Voltage Landscape Transformer, timer is a Intermatic DT620, hooked up to (2) 15w Mini Flood Lights.

When I click ON, on the timer to manually turn on, there is a loud clicking sound, the display goes blank and the lights turn on, but pulsate. I've replaced the timer, starts to work fine, but eventually the same problem happens again. I'm probably on my 3rd or 4th timer. There is no way I've gotten that many consecutive bad timers! HAHA.

Could this possibly be a transformer issue causing the timer to go bad? Anyone else ever have this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

1) one loud click is normal for that timer 2) if these lights are LED, the pulsating or flickering indicates too low voltage supplied to them. Have you checked the voltage at the lights? Have you checked 1)the voltage output at the transformer without the timer 2) voltage coming out of the timer? I hope you didn't waste all the timers without checking for voltage here and there. I have used at least 100 DT-620 timers and may have had one fail.

3. OP
    OP
    AKavanaughSC

AKavanaughSC LawnSite Member

Yes, it's the sound of the one loud click, but continuous and doesn't stop until I turn it off. Will check everything you said this afternoon and report back.

If it's good voltage out of the transformer and bad out of the timer, I would assume bad timer? If it's bad voltage out of the transformer, I would assume bad transformer? If it's all good out of the transformer/timer and bad at the lights, I would assume voltage loss and probably a small nick in the line?

Appreciate the info Phil!

4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

First just unplug that timer and plug the transformer into the receptacle directly to see if the system works.

starry night likes this.
  5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

OP: So what did you find?