Possible winter side work?

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
Well as with most of the country, it's not snowing here. Couple that with our horribly dry summer, I'm somewhat desperately looking for ways to generate revenue. It's not that I don't have enough money to get through the winter, I just want to bring in a little extra to pay for extra advertising in the spring, a couple sets of tires, and just spending money.

What I have came up with is junk hauling. I have a dump truck and a couple trailers that are just sitting until March 1. Why not try to line up work for them hauling peoples junk piles to the landfill? I know just driving down my alley about every house has either bags of trash/leaves piled up, or piles of limbs, tire, old fence materials (which I could even reuse or sell). I live in a lower-middle class neighborhood, and will market it around here to start wtih. It is free to dump at the local landfill so my only expense would be fuel.

I will attach what I came up with for doorhangers, which will be my only marketing for this service. I plan to get 250 (500 doorhangers) printed up and laminated. Then I will punch a hole in the top, and use a rubber band to attach to door knobs.

Any thoughts on the idea, or on the doorhangers themselves? More interested in ways to improve the doorhangers, don't really need help pricing the actual service, I've got that lol.

PCLC.junkad.jpg

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
sounds like a plan to me dude. good thinking. i have done a few things like this before, cuz the money was all too easy.

OP
K

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
sounds like a plan to me dude. good thinking. i have done a few things like this before, cuz the money was all too easy.
Yea that is what I was thinking. Spend 15 minutes loading stuff up, 20 minutes driving, and get 50 bucks.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
thing is, would u do this during season too? Or only for a time? Only winter?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
K

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
Most likely just Dec 15 to Feb 28. Maybe do it for lawn customers only during lawn season.
Posted via Mobile Device

weesa20

LawnSite Member
Just be careful yo don't get stuck with something that you can't get rid of without paying a landfill fee (shingles for example). I would also be looking at taking the junk metal to a recylcer or store it up until metal prices rise if you have the space. there's a guy near where I live that this is all he does with a old chevy 1/2 ton p/u.

elitelawnteam1

LawnSite Senior Member
I would also be looking at taking the junk metal to a recylcer or store it up until metal prices rise if you have the space. there's a guy near where I live that this is all he does with a old chevy 1/2 ton p/u.
During the winter, that's all I do, plus tune-up homeowner's mowers/snowblowers. Yesterday I went scrapping and made about $300 and used up about $30 in gas.

Craigslist is probably the best place to find hauling jobs, but I wouldn't advertise on it. Also, maybe try to hook up with a building contractor in the area that doesn't haul away their refuse themselves

MBanks

LawnSite Member
Grasscutter - good idea, but your door-hanger could use a little work :)

a) Change the name from Pro Cut Lawn Care to Junk-Be-Gone or Mr. Junk or some such so people will know right away what you do and what you're looking for.

b) If you're gonna advertise locally delete the area code. Displaying an area code can make people subconciously think you're out of the area.

c) Make a bigger list of stuff so people can see that you'll pick up almost anything.

d) Add something like 'Clean, Quick, Professional' so they know you're a pro and not some high-school kid with a wagon.

e) As long as you're printing it, (I'm presuming Kinkos'), show an image. Maybe a cartoon of a guy loading junk in a truck. Got o Google and click on the 'Images' button and type in 'junk hauling cartoon' or some such.

f) Add - 'Call now for friendly, free estimate! I'm local and will be glad to talk to you!' Show an image of a telephone next to your phone number. Make your phone number bigger.

g) Add the words 'Cheap' or 'Affordable' etc.

Best of luck!

Michael

clydebusa

Inactive
Couple of years ago customer asked me to haul off an old truck. Filled the truck with metal I had laying around and whamo 500 bucks. So in the last 2 years I have done 3 loads of 1000 or more. i have a trailer about ready to go to the recycler now. I collect old hotwater tanks, window units and you name it. Sepeate the metals brass, lead, etc and get even more money. Good luck!