Possibly buying TT23KC exmark Turf Tracer 60”... need reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GLS inc, Dec 14, 2017.

1. GLS inc

GLS inc LawnSite Member
    from Nw ga

i am possibly buying a tt23kc this afternoon, the exmark tt manufactured in 2000, FMD603 60 inch deck. It has a blown (cracked block) 23 hp kohler. Asking price is $350. Hours unknown.

I am considering purchasing with hopes to get it running and use it. However i can not find many reviews on this site or the internet in general on the mower or deck.

Is it worth my time to try to get the mower running with a used engine. I figured i could part it out to get my money back if i dont get it running.

Side note- i did read that the 23 hp kohler still lacks a little power, should i look into a 25hp as replacement?

2. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

GLS,

Welcome to the forum

It'll be hard to see if the hydros are sound w/o a motor. If you are handy that wouldn't be a problem. I'd pick it up for 350.00 though as I was just looking at one with a bad wheel motor for 1.8K today.

Do you know aht Deck it has?

BR,

~TW

sjessen likes this.
  3. GLS inc

GLS inc LawnSite Member
    from Nw ga

Thank you, All i have found on it is fmd603 60” ill try to post a pic

Rebuiling a motor is within my mechanical abilities but ill be honest i know virtually nothing when it comes to hydros. I own a 44” toro proline that i have learned the basics of hydrolics on. I could swap pumps/motors but have not thought about attempting a rebuild yet, i guess i will learn if necessary.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    TrainingWheels likes this.
  4. GLS inc

GLS inc LawnSite Member
    from Nw ga

5. GLS inc

GLS inc LawnSite Member
    from Nw ga

I told the guy selling it if it was a belt drive i would not hesitate but with hydros being so much more expensive im a little skeptical.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

It doesn't look to be in too bad of shape for a 2000 model.

About the hydros. One thing you might consider is draining some of the oil out of the filter looking for shavings. Any sign of leaks? the hydros on my unit went 7000+ hours but were well maintained.

For the asking price you can hardly go wrong.

Btw, I have an '04 of the same mower and yes, the 23, is a little short on power. I repowered with a 21.5 Kohler Confidante and wished I had put a 23 or larger on instead. Those hp numbers are based on the new rating system.

7. GLS inc

GLS inc LawnSite Member
    from Nw ga

Well i got it wfor $200. Figured its worth the risk. I want to put the 23hp command back on it. The blown motor is the second on the machine and is a 25 hp courage.

From my understanding the command is a better engine and courage is cheaper with more hp. Any recommendations on which would be better?

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Courage is the poorer engine of the two. Not sure if it is considered commercial. If you want a cheaper commercial grade engine look into the Confidante.

9. GLS inc

GLS inc LawnSite Member
    from Nw ga

Much appreciated. I will but am in no hurry as i dont need the mower right away. I will try to wait to find a used one in good condition.

10. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

200.00 that was a very good deal. You've got a lot of leeway the rubber looks good (the only thing, I dislike to do on a mower). As @sjessen mentioned about the motor lines you might also be able to find an older kawasaki FH engine, does it have a manual PTO?

BR,

~TW

hort101 and sjessen like this.