Post Dated Checks

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Curious what others do with post dated checks from their customers.

It's not something I have to deal with often, but this month I have 2 of them. It's my understanding that I can deposit them anyway regardless of the date on them.

It's annoying more than anything else. The total between the two checks is about $250 and it isn't going to impact my finances to hold onto them. But I have to set them aside and then remember to deposit them.

I'm not planning to spend the time to contact my customers to see if the dates were an error on their part, which I suspect is the case for one of them. I can't imagine why she would come out to give me a check while I'm mowing that she doesn't have sufficient funds for. But maybe she just wanted to save on postage, lol.

So what do you guys do in this case?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Curious what others do with post dated checks from their customers.

It's not something I have to deal with often, but this month I have 2 of them. It's my understanding that I can deposit them anyway regardless of the date on them.

It's annoying more than anything else. The total between the two checks is about $250 and it isn't going to impact my finances to hold onto them. But I have to set them aside and then remember to deposit them.

I'm not planning to spend the time to contact my customers to see if the dates were an error on their part, which I suspect is the case for one of them. I can't imagine why she would come out to give me a check while I'm mowing that she doesn't have sufficient funds for. But maybe she just wanted to save on postage, lol.

So what do you guys do in this case?
I was told by the bank that post dating has no affect
They are processed on the date they are presented for payment

post dating is an outdated late payment trick
If the check is written it’s “good”

gardiner

LawnSite Senior Member
Checks is my preferred method.
Of payment. I will get a call asking if I got the check. That I sit on checks.
I don't do banking on my phone.
All the checks go into the atm.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
Banks will accept for deposit checks prior to the date written on the check. See, e.g., https://www.thebalance.com/postdated-checks-315335. However, if the check is returned due to insufficient funds there may be a fee charged to the payee, so it may be best either to wait until the date on the check to deposit it or to confirm funds are in the account to cover the check.

While on the subject of dates on checks, there is the issue of stale checks. Under the Uniform Commercial Code banks may refuse to accept any checks 6 months after the date on the check. So if a customer makes a mistake and puts a date over 6 months ago on a check, that check may be worthless. Probably most of us have gotten the year wrong on checks written early January, such as writing 01/12/2020 rather than 01/12/2021. Even though the mistake may be obvious, that check might be rejected.

OP
F

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Banks will accept for deposit checks prior to the date written on the check. See, e.g., https://www.thebalance.com/postdated-checks-315335. However, if the check is returned due to insufficient funds there may be a fee charged to the payee, so it may be best either to wait until the date on the check to deposit it or to confirm funds are in the account to cover the check.

While on the subject of dates on checks, there is the issue of stale checks. Under the Uniform Commercial Code banks may refuse to accept any checks 6 months after the date on the check. So if a customer makes a mistake and puts a date over 6 months ago on a check, that check may be worthless. Probably most of us have gotten the year wrong on checks written early January, such as writing 01/12/2020 rather than 01/12/2021. Even though the mistake may be obvious, that check might be rejected.
Yeah I don't want to risk a returned check fee. Like I said, it's mostly just an annoyance. My wife is notorious for holding onto dividend checks and not depositing them in a timely manner.

Top Forums