1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Post dated checks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mtdman, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So I was thinking about sending a reminder about this check 21 law to my customers this month with the bills, reminding them of my returned check policy, etc. Personally, I don't wanna charge those fees, I just wanna get paid on time, and I don't mind working with customers to avoid those fees. I started wondering about policies on post dated checks, allowing customers to post date them to avoid fees, etc, but get the checks sent in on time. But I don't want to open that can of worms and start problems there. Anyone have thoughts?

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i would remind them and send then info about the law 2

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i wouldn't even think of setting a positive policy on accepting post-dated checks. you are right, it would just lead to another set of problems.

my own policy is that we don't accept post-dated checks for any of our business.

tony

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to check with your county attorney before putting a delayed check policy into effect. In Nebraska if a person writes you a bad check you can take it to the county attorney and they will prosecute the person. However if it is a post dated check it then becomes a promissory note and they will not help at all, you then have to go to civil court on your own dime. You will have to sign a paper under penalty of perjury that it was not accepted as a post dated check.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My bank told me that the date on a check doesn't meen nothing. She told me to never post date a check to someone because they could actually try to cash it early. Most wouldn't try to cash it though.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have one customer that occasionally post-date checks. I've always "early-deposited" them, nobody at the bank has ever noticed, and they've always cleared OK. Just recently, another customer mixed up my bill with her bill from Banana Republic. I called her to tell her of the mix-up, and she called back and said my check had been cashed, by Banana Republic. I don't think the people at the bank even look at things anymore.

I heard on the news tonight that even though the Check 21 law is now in effect, a lot of banks are not going to institute it until January. A grace period for floaters.