Post Hole Digging Rate

RobD70

LawnSite Member
I am getting a new land pride 3 point post hole digger to add to my collection of implements and plan to do some work on the side with it to. How do you guys charge for doing post holes? Is it by the hour or by the hole? I am getting 9" and 12" augers, along with the hydraulic down pressure kit. I am in central Wisconsin.

Thanks

Rob

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
Does your tractor have ground speed Pto If doesn't that going suck if you stick the auger in the hole
Most of the time I charge by the hour or by the job

Why would you want down pressure on a 3 point auger

OP
R

RobD70

LawnSite Member
I did some research online and asked a few offline and all highly recommend the down pressure kit. You can drill into sandy or averag type soil ad it is easy going, then you can hit the hard packed clay soil or real rocky soil and the auger can just sit there and not penetrate to far becasue you only have the weight of the post hole digger for down force on the soil thats hard to dril into. The down pressure kit helps make it so you can drill into it and get the job done. It mounts right on the post hole digger and hooks to the remotes on my tractor. Here in WI, you can go from a sandy soft soil, to a firm clay heavy soil to that clay loaded with rocks that is a pain to dig in or work with, so I felt it was best to be safe and get the down pressure kit with the post hole digger.

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
Does your tractor have ground speed Pto If doesn't that going suck if you stick the auger in the hole
Most of the time I charge by the hour or by the job

Why would you want down pressure on a 3 point auger

How would a ground speed pto affect an auger? That's something that never really caught on and isn't popular at all...
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
How would a ground speed pto affect an auger? That's something that never really caught on and isn't popular at all...
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't think of any ag application that would have an advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
Posted via Mobile Device

Well if you stick it in the ground If the tractor has Ground speed PTO You can jack one wheel off the ground lock the brake on the other side Put in reverse and you will back auger out of the ground

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
It's not 1970 anymore. Things have advanced lol. I pull a lever and lower the auger, then pull it back and it comes up

I don't think I've ever actually came across a tractor that has ground speed pto
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
I did some research online and asked a few offline and all highly recommend the down pressure kit. You can drill into sandy or averag type soil ad it is easy going, then you can hit the hard packed clay soil or real rocky soil and the auger can just sit there and not penetrate to far becasue you only have the weight of the post hole digger for down force on the soil thats hard to dril into. The down pressure kit helps make it so you can drill into it and get the job done. It mounts right on the post hole digger and hooks to the remotes on my tractor. Here in WI, you can go from a sandy soft soil, to a firm clay heavy soil to that clay loaded with rocks that is a pain to dig in or work with, so I felt it was best to be safe and get the down pressure kit with the post hole digger.

You run one you wont want down pressure on a tractor The Auger bit will dig its self Sometimes it will suck its self down
I have drilled in mostly clay or lime stone never needed down pressure

Gr8WhiteNorth

LawnSite Senior Member
I've encountered tough auguring conditions on random jobs. Best thing you can do is hourly rate. Or make sure if you know if your digging in an old gravel pit or rocky native soil

Top Forums