Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
you cant winterize a sprinkler system, what are you going to do, dig up all the pipes and wrap them up?? they underground its all fine:) the only thing that sticks above the ground are heads for bushes, and wires to the controller, everything is is underground:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
you cant winterize a sprinkler system, what are you going to do, dig up all the pipes and wrap them up?? they underground its all fine:) the only thing that sticks above the ground are heads for bushes, and wires to the controller, everything is is underground:)
You have to remember that we're WAY up here, and your WAY down there in sunny warm Texas. Where I live (northern Indiana) winterizing is pretty much a must to prevent lines from freezing/breaking. I'm not sure what all is required, but I know they blow all of the lines clear, and I believe they may even put some type of anti-freeze solution in them as well.;)

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
About your inqiries on winterizing the systems. In areas where there is frost lines and deep freezes, the systems should be winterized by blowing them out with an air compressor. If not, as the water in the pipes freeze, it expands and breaks the pipes, valves, heads, manifold tees, backflow preventer, etc. Just because it's underground does not mean it will protect it. Frostline can go more than 3' in areas.

I've never heard of an anti-freeze solution put in the system. This would cause problems with the valves and probably with the heads as well.

If you have more questions about it, check out some of the posts in the IRRIGATION section of this site.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, well the frost line here has been known to go 2' deep in really cold winters, so blowing out the lines does help:rolleyes: Hey, its making me money!:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jwing,
Your 18, your interests include manual labor, and your response to a thread, asking to see your business card is:

you cant winterize a sprinkler system, what are you going to do, dig up all the pipes and wrap them up?? they underground its all fine:)
ROTFLMAO

DUUuuude,
it sucks to be green.

It gets pretty cold in Albany NY, where my brother owns a Sprinkler Co, he uses a compressor and blows out the line.
I've asked about the Antifreeze stuff in the past, he said no.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.