Post your weekly project photos here.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, Aug 2, 2007.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

we did down lit that swing (seat is being re-stained) the whole back yard has downlighting actually. I'm just not skilled enough w/ a camera to show it off. I didn't uplight the swing because I'd think it'd be annoying to sit in it w/ those lights. the magnolia behind it is also lit but doesn't show up on film that much.

2. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah its a swing! I figured it was a glare issue so that makes sense. It looks nice but I always like to see how others think with stuff like that. Sometimes choosing what not to light is harder than what needs it.

It is hard to really catch the subtle downlighting, especially shooting at twilight like your photos. We had one that had a very low level moonlight effect that you really could only see in full darkness which was the goal so the guy could fish down by the water without being disturbing. Long shutters show the illumination but it kinda loses the ultimate effect in real life.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

My problem is I don't really know how to do manual settings on my camera and the nighttime landscape cheat mode that I'm using here stops working as it gets dark. I knew how to do it with my old film camera but that's neither here or there.

4. kellanv

If it helps, use a tripod, ISO 100-400 depending on how much your camera is fighting the long exposure (lower is generally cleaner). F/8 or so to give you a reasonable depth of field for stuff. Then you can start playing with your shutter speed, starting at say 1/2 second or 1 second and going longer and longer until it exposes how you want. This allows a lot of the ambient light to filter in, the CCT to be viewed a bit easier and tends to look cleaner/softer. I tend to expose the hot spots to the point that they are almost blown out, the correct the levels/blacks in post.

5. WifiColorGuy

WifiColorGuy LawnSite Member

Final Video of the most recent install with the chasing wifi bright fellas.

Video of a Deck install as well. best of all no seizures reported yet ;)

6. kellanv

One from last night. Working on a solution to make the roof a little more even but a lack of cooperative branching and limited 4000K MR16s is proving tricky. Lots of fixtures here. 14842605117771.jpg

7. OP
    OP
    Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Great looking trees to work with there. Very good branch structure, should make quite and impact.

8. kellanv

The customer is very happy with it and it makes a huge statement on a street with very minimal lighting. Great structure in the trees but a lot of lateral distance so trying to show full branches without creating huge glare bombs was challenging.

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Very, very nice, Kellan. I don't understand your comment about the "limited" 4000K lamps. (Illumicare 4500; Brilliance and Amp 4000)

10. kellanv

Brilliance is mainly what I use. They don't have 4000K standard although I'm working at ordering some possibly special. Not doing amp. 4500 might work. These are 40 degree 6.5w with frosted/spread and secondary dimmer.