Lawn Care Forum banner

Posting Regulations

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Guys, I need some help on this. Our State legislature (Nebraska) has proposed the following rules pertaining to applying pesticides(Includes herbicides, insecticides and Pre-emergents)

1) Written notice to all properties that touch the proerty you are going to treat, 48 in advance.

2) Posting the property you are treating 24hrs in advance of a treatment.

3) The same rules will apply to spot treating an area less than 9 sq. ft. with a pressurized contaner of 1 gall or less. (I.E. Backpack)

Is anybody under these restictions right now? How much did these rules drive up your overhead/ application price?

Thanks for any answers,we have a hearing on Tuesday, January 30th

#4 ·
Its coming here too,especially south of me in suffok and westchester/rockland countys.Neighbors of pesticide users have compained enough to get some action.To be honest I cant blame them in a way,down there they spray while your 10 ft away cooking on a barbQue.If they make it harder and harder to apply them,either they wont pay the increase and pesticide use will go down,or they pay more,so they get less applications a year-or they blow lots of money.Chances are pesticde use will be reduced,which is what they want and will get no matter what.

#5 ·
I believe that the proposal here is tailored somewhat after New Yorks. I agree that some applicators are not near as respectfull of neighbors as they need to be. This also applies to granular apps of fert/pre-m, fert/grub control, etc. These products are very safe, used as directed unless you eat them out of the bag or graze in the yard following the application. I'm afraid the tree huggers are going to legislate us out of the industry.

Thought- What if homeowners were required to do the same postings they are proposing for LCO's, I think this would go away very quickly if that were the case.

#6 ·
you think that's tough, try living in a major area with an endangered species, the salmon. they ( feds if species pop deson't recover) will rewrite everything even building codes, let alone pesticide use. i have studied and practiced organics and drought resistence for 5 years now full knowing of the choas that the future will bring. irrigation will be a thing of the past, i shut most systems off @ labor day after running around july 4, pretty good- still green presentable turf. we have a grub type insect here called the euopean crane fly that will eat lawns to mud- they mate in early sept- no water on turf they tend to not number as much, hence the lack of insectide or GREATLY reduced amount, most damage is way below threshold, insecticides do kill fish and by nature are bad for living things in the long run. It even looks like we may not be able to water this year with only 50% of normal snowpack, cali has 150% snowpack- el-nino year, this summer will be trouble for the biz with water restrictions- oh well. Anyway, like the BBQ post, people do get ticked when the tank is spraying when they're chillin'..can't blame 'em. people SHOULD use less pesticides and resources- it's right to do our part, that's called IPM, Farmers, have learned all too well about chemical reliance- we need a world to pass down better than how we found it, it's only right. It is going to create a business challange to manage the new world. Maybe the future holds a sub-division server that the neighborhood is wired into that will post on when you are sprayng and where and it is the homeowners responseabilty to update their file on neighborhood awareness...hhmmm???? For now, as the world changes- those of us who can't adapt will die off, hence social darwinism, kinda like your first three yaers in biz. you see 'em go down around you but you're making even more money then ever, same thing in a different way. homeowners posting ap flags will be the day...soon there will be nothing for homeowners to apply anyway! the people who have implemented the most efficent IPM plan will still be standing and make bank , and have made bank doing THE RIGHT THING, it's what's best for us all. the time's is a changin' or something like that bob dylan wrote once, i think, WELCOME TO Y2K...

[Edited by powerreel on 01-25-2001 at 02:07 PM]

#7 ·
We have similiar laws for posting, if someone tells us that they would like written confirmation then we must provide it for them every time we fertilize. We also have to post for 24hrs "after" the app. and not before. We don't have anything for the backpacks.

#8 ·
Mike, The proposal here is that you have to notify the neighbors, but not the homeowner. Hard to figure. Notify, post24hrs b4, leave posting up for 48hours afterapp, and they have rules about the size and lettering that must be on your flags.

#9 ·
That answers a question for me... I have been thinking that I should get licensed to apply pest/herb. But I have a baby at home and don't want to deal with the chemicals etc... I have still thought it would make my service more complete. But I can't stand the red tape stuff. no way I want to pay for the test, license, insurance, equip. just to have some crazy legislation make it impossible to do.

#10 ·
I would raise the price per application at least $5 for every phone call I had to make.

The 24 hour pre application posting is nutz. So one will have to do a pre run just to put up signs. Then if quick storms come up and you are beyond 24hrs will you have to pre mark again? This will in effect double or triple the application costs.

I would use some type of business contact appplication program that you would only have to enter the info once that would also dial the phone number of the other homeowners and left a recorded message. This would also keep a log for you to show to the pesticide cops.

My question is how to you contact the other homeowners in the first place? Who is going to provide the LCO with the names and phone numbers of these people? Or do "you" have to go to the courthouse and pull them off the deedbooks then look in the phone book. What if the number is unlisted?

Only lawmakers who have never worked a actuall day in there
entire lives could produce such B.S.

#11 ·
Lawrence, Another kicker, you have to look up the abutting property owners yourself, and phone calls dont cut it. You must mail or deliver WRITTEN notice 48 hrs in advance. We are going to try and kill this bill in comittee.

Fair warning It will come back again i'm sure and Nebraska wont be the only place.

#12 ·
They tried to tell us they were going to pass legislation for "pre-notification" and it didnt happen because we as an organization rallied against it. However, the DEC now has mandated that we MUST pre-mark each proerty prior to apllications being applied and then fill out the paperwork after each application in completely before going on to the next customer even when they are abutting neighbors.

just more b-s.
Kris

#13 ·
The restrictions and regulations are only going to get worse as time goes on.

Good outlook, I think for us in the applicator business, is that it will get alot harder to get a license than to keep one. I was also told at a state pesticide training course that it is coming down to where "homeowners" WILL NOT be able to buy or apply lawn chemicals of any kind. Wal-marts lawn and graden pesticide and fertilizer section will someday be just a nostalgic dream. The instructor, which helps make the regulations in our state, said by 2005 over half of all available pesticides for retail sale and home use in our state will only be available to us applicators.

Each state watches and follows what others do, it's only a matter of time.

#14 ·
When i went for recert last yr,the DEC said we could write a spraying schedule at the beginning of the year and give it to the neighbors,and that was sufficient prenotifiction at the time.The DEC told us that you have about a week window spray time,so you could specify a spray for the week of whenenever,weather permitting,for all the applicatuions,if one application needs to be applied at a time not covered on the sheet,then you would need to pre-note for that application.

#16 ·
I don't see the big boys, Tru-green chemlawn, etc. going for that.

No pesticide use wouldn't bother me though, as long as it was for everyone, not just lawn services. It would have to include homeowners and the local governments.

Of course, the bermuda grass would take over the whole state. :)

John

PS, anyone spraying near a BBQ should be required to work for Charles. ;)

#19 ·
I am from New York and a cert. applicator. I'm in Nassau Co. where the law has been passed.
Yes, we now have a 48 hour in advance neighbor notification law that says when spraying (not granular) you must notify all of the neighbors of the property you will treat 48 hours in advance in writing. It blows. For me it will only apply to weed control as all other applications are granular. I sent my clients a list to fill in the addresses of all their neighbors to at least save me that time. Next I will put all of those addresses into a data base and preprint the envelopes for this year. Pain in the butt. If you live in NY and are certified you know all about it already. If not, you're next so fight it now or join the party of crapola.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.