Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What questions should I be asking? As far as I know it’s a vacant lot. I just don’t want to get into trouble mowing potentially somebody else’s lot

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Who owns the property is the big question.

I do not and will not mow anything without the property owner or an agent/representative of the property owner approving me to do so. Period. I strongly recommend that you not do so either. The property owner assumes some liability any time someone is working on their property and so to do so without their approval is not a good idea. You'll essentially be trespassing to boot. Would you want anyone doing anything to your property without your approval? Hey, I saw you had a lot of dandelions so I sprayed them all for you...

I have mowed the public right-of-way if front of someone's property at the request of someone else, in fact I do it on a regular basis on one account. The town doesn't mind, and in fact encourages mowing of those strips. I maintain about 1/4 mile of the one in front of my house too. But that's different than going onto private property and doing something without express approval of the property owner or their agent/representative.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would explain that you need the permission of the property owner before you can enter their property,I don't see why anyone wouldn't agree to having their yard mowed for free, but people are different, if they don't give permission then you have skipped a potential legal nightmare

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Ditto what those guys say. Does your city or county have a tax GIS website? You should easily be able to find the property owner. Then you could contact them to see if they would agree to it. Whether they hire you or they agree to let you mow it and the nosey neighbor pay you for it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Tell the customer to contact the city / county code enforcement division and let them deal with it.
Wrong...

Call code enforcement first, ask what it takes to get setup as a contractor with the city...

Then, tell your customer that you'd like to, but can't since it's someone else's property. That they're best bet is to call code enforcement.

Next, wait for the call... Profit... :D

I tease, but I'm quite serious about taking this approach in my own neighborhood. Lots of trees & bushes grown over into the sidewalks. Drives me bonkers. Yes, myself & the family go for walks.

Makes me wonder if I could get setup with the city as a contractor, and then get paid to keep my own neighborhood maintained...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts