Poulan Weedeater - Seems like battery is dead but it's full?

cnyclean

LawnSite Member
I bought a use Poulan Weedeater Riding Lawnmower for 100 bucks, the guy said he had to keep jumping it before he could get it to run. I brought it home, put in a newer battery. Charged for a few hours and it did start.

Left it uncharged overnight, it was 100% dead again in the morning. Charged it for 5 hours and it would only turn about half a spin then stop for second or two, then it would do another half spin. I took the starter off and hooked it directly to the bat and it spun fast and without any issues.

What could the problem be? I also hooked the starter to my car batt and tried to start that way, but it did the same half spin thing.
Mine looks like this

bocas

LawnSite Member
When I have battery discharge problems,
i just get a battery disconnect switch from amazon, about $8. Disconnect when not in use and it does not drain. Of course, if the starter is the problem...........

JimQ

LawnSite Bronze Member
Not sure what motor you have in there but if it has an Auto Compression Release (ACR) system, make sure your exhaust valve is adjusted properly. I see that problem frequently.

Q

OP
C

cnyclean

LawnSite Member
Okay, thanks. I will check the motor type and do some research. I'll post back if I don't find anything.

JimQ

LawnSite Bronze Member
I just took a second look at your photo. I think I see a Briggs sticker on there...

If it's an Intek single, move the pistion 1/4" past TDC before setting the valves so the ACR doesn't interfere with the adjustment.

(.002" both intake and exhaust I believe)

Good luck.

Q