Power hand tools, Is Stihl the best choice for hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Kohlerpowered, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Kohlerpowered

Kohlerpowered LawnSite Member

I’m looking to replace my Echo hedge trimmer, sorry but I just don’t care for that brand anymore. I have a Stihl Farm Boss, even though it’s not advertised as a commercial grade saw it handles whatever I throw at it, gets the job done. I’m inclined to get another Stihl tool, but they are really expensive and I don’t believe it’s my only choice out there.

Rich
    Upper Bucks County PA

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What echo model are you running?
    Whats the issue with current trimmer

Bumpmaster likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Kohlerpowered

The label is worn through, I think it’s a HC 152. It’s only a 20 cut, loud and the vibration wears me out. I think those trimmers with the rotating handle might be easier. I keep the blades sharp but it just doesn’t have the power to cut the heavier overgrowth. With a lot of foreclosed properties needing attention after a long departure from any care, I can use a longer cutter, more power and features that will make up a little for the extra weight of a bigger, better trimmer.

Rich

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Bumpmaster and Kohlerpowered like this.
  5. Brucey

Brucey LawnSite Member

Ive had good luck with the stihl kombi power heads and the 145 degree hedge trimmer attachment, along with the carbon fiber extension.

For general hedge shaping where I want lightness I use the battery powered HSA 66.

You may want to look at the Stihl HS 82 R gas model, can cut quickly through heavy growth.

Cam15 and Kohlerpowered like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Kohlerpowered

That Stihl HS 82 R is a cutting monster! But it’s over $600 with 30” cutters and sales tax And with a full tank of fuel it’s like 15 lbs. and that kills my shoulders and back on sizable jobs, at 58 I’m not the Johnny Weissmuller I once was like:weightlifter:

When I did a Google/Internet search they say Tanaka and Husqvarna then Echo, but I feel really suspicious about that.
    Our neighborhood lumberyard use to have a 10% off And no sales tax on Everything in their store sale once or twice each year, that’s when I bought all my Stihl products and equipment - this year they didn’t have it:(
    Getting close to retirement I’m pinching pennies these days, I don’t know about you guys but that sale would have saved me about $100 on that HS 82 R and I wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl battery powered might meet your needs. It is not noisy and is light

Bumpmaster likes this.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

tanaka -redmax and maruyama all make the best hedge trimmers . this goes for the 24 in models and under. for extended I use sthil older 2 stroke models. 4 mix is out of the question

9. OP
    OP
    Kohlerpowered

I don’t have much success with battery operated tools, especially if I don’t use them often the batteries go dead and then they don’t hold a charge when I put them on the charger base. Last year I bought a drill, impact gun and a Royobi battery powered hedge trimmer. All three have dead batteries that won’t recharge, the chargers blink red lights indicating faulty batteries. Can’t keep the batteries on the charger all the time and if they die before they’re used again - that’s not good. I just don’t use anything on a constant basis and it’s a pita to have something else to keep track of.

10. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ll second the the stihl hs 82 T is for fine cutting I.e. box woods ha 82 R is rough cutting I own both awesome units along with the combi systems km 131 with the 145 degree head and straight head with one extension. You can really step up your hedge trimming game with those units!

Cam15 likes this.