Lawn Care Forum banner

POWER PRUNERS

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Cletus 
#1 ·
what the best one to buy? What is the prices?

#5 ·
Hi Johndeere, the power pruner has the hedge trimmer attachment, i think i paid 150-175 for it and it bolts up to where the bar and chain are, a few minutes of work, echo also makes a dedicated hedgetrimmer that we bought a year before the hedgetrimmer attachment was introduced and that works great for tall hedges, I beleive I paid $500 for it but not sure it is about 6' tall and the head articulates for easier manuvarbility, I would recommend either product, but maybe the pole saw has more versatility.

#6 ·
This may not be applicable or fundamentally correct but ill tell you what i do. I talk to a a guy once about gas hedgers and he said he did away with them because of injuries. If you use them, its easy to get a little bit carried away and before you know it you got hole through those new 501s you bought and a nice flow of blood coming from your leg. What he did is bought a generator and just uses cheap electic hedgecutter models from whereever.
Its amazing but they work great. your just put the genertor in your truck or trailer and run extension cords to where you need them. They are much cheaper than any gas model, work well for most jobs, and much safer to use. If they break, you just throw it out and buy a new one. A great idea.

Another trick is to use electric hedgers and or chain saws for tall trimming. If you only do it once in a while this works. Just duck tape the trimmer to a piece of 1 inch metal conduit, and bam, instant height. The trimmers are light so it doesnt feel to awkward.

Now the trimmer on a rod idea is a little dangerous, i admit. But using the generator and cheap electics work great. You can buy three of them for under 200, and then send 3 guys out off of the same generator to aattack those hedges. When comparing to the price of the gas hedger, you can get much more efficiancy this way. A great idea i thought.

#7 ·
Sthil extendable power pruner (chain saw)will accept the hedge trimmer head. Not sure they intended it to be used that way, but I know someone who is doing it and it works great. It extends out about 15' or so. The hedge trimmer head is about $200.

#8 ·
I was juat looking at the Stihl book,they make 4 interchangeable cutting attachments that can be used with the HT 70 or 75 pole pruner [75 has the telescope to 11.5 feet]Attachments in include 3 hedge trimmers one of which has an adjustable angle [0-90]also a power scythe for tall grass.Look nice but I have not used them.....just my thoughts.

#9 ·
Electric hedge trimmers have enough guts to cut you up but not enough to trim tough hedges that need lots taken off. I love the gas models, no more cutting through extension cords and they'll cut old cedar hedges like nothing else. Just make sure you keep the air cleaner and blades very clean. Oh, and keep your fingers away,apparantly they don't grow back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.