1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Power Rake Machine vs. Lawn Mower Rake Blades

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bs111, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

I'm curious as to what you guys think of using a power rake machine vs. putting "rake blades" on your mower.

By mower blades, I mean the ones like this:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...subcat=Parts+&+Accessories&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Is one method better than the other? Is the amount of clipping clean up time more or less than the other?

I know raking is what I need vs. dethatching, because the lawn was just sodded 2 years ago and is still in decent shape, but some parts have a bit of thatch build up.

Thanks to all of you in advance!

brian

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would rent a 40" power brush.....

3. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

To use on a LAWN????

4. CrappyMower

CrappyMower LawnSite Member

Many years ago I used one of those on my own yard. Adjusted per the instructions it tore the CRAP out of my lawn. By the time I raked up the loose stuff to take a look I had covered about a 10 yd. x 10 yd. patch.

Suffice it to say I have a nicely seeded 100 Sq. Yd. newly seeded area in my side yard.

I tried to adjust it up just to see if that would be better, NOPE.

DON'T DO IT! ( UNLESS YOU LIKE RE-SEEDING FOR FREE )

CM

5. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

79 views and no one knows about these two things and their difference???

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Rent the power rake. Those "Raking blades" will do an amazing amount of damage to your lawn.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I've heard, those things are a joke. I was told that after a few seconds the tines bend upward and they do virtually nothing.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That is exactly what happened to me several years ago. Total pieces of junk and a waste of money.:)

9. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

So is it better to rent a power rake...or use a front or rear attachment on a lawn tractor??

10. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Rent the dethatcher. Or Aerate more often.

I would wait until the fall to dethatch and overseed. Aerate at the same time.

Then Aerate twice a year for three years, then cut back to once in the fall.