1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Power Seeding This Time Of Year?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WETSCAPE, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I have heard many people say they power seed in the spring and fall. Can this be done at any time in the summer months? I have a Billy Goat just sitting collecting dust. I have alot of time on my hands this weekend and a few bags of seed left over.
    What do you all think? Is it worth it?
    Thanks,,,,

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yes the fall is the best time to seed followed by the spring...but you can technially seed anytime between March and October and be fine.

It just takes a little more maintenance and watering. If a new seeding you may want to use a little straw also, but not much.

I seed spring, summer and fall and have very little problems.

Just seeded a bank last Friday and when I checked it today it looked awesome. It is a TTTF/PR blend.

3. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Thank You!
    Its an existing lawn, with an irragation system . I recently purchaced the place, it doesn't look bad but thought a little new seed may help through the summer months? I have a bunch of Lescos Athletic seed left over from a job. I may put it down and see if I can't perk it up a bit.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Heck ya!

If you have an irrigation system, seed and a seeder then I wouldn't think about it!

Scratch the strawing though and make sure to use a starter at seeding and againg 3-4 weeks after seeding.

Good Luck!